Duraflame Type logs at the Dollar Store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njtomatoguy

Feeling the Heat
Jun 20, 2006
Maple Shade, NJ
I know there have been a bunch of posts about cutting these up as firestarters, and even though they are knock offs, a buck is worth a shot.

Dollar Tree Dollar Store

Hope this helps.

Bob

Yup. I use them all the time.

I've still got a few firestarters around here that my wife will grab but by far, the best fire starters I have found lately come from my wood shop. I had the wife pick up a bunch of small paper lunch bags and I fill them with shavings. I ran a lot of old spalted walnut thru last month and created about 20 gallons of shavings. I dumped 10 in a mulch bed and have been using the remainder for fire starting. burns nice and slow with a blue flame and gets the wood burning without any other source of kindling.

Is it OK to use tiny cut up pieces of those duraflame type logs in a wood stove? My Quad instructions says not to....

Jay

Jay H said:
Is it OK to use tiny cut up pieces of those duraflame type logs in a wood stove? My Quad instructions says not to....

Jay

I use small chunks. I cut the log with a bow saw about 1/2 inch thick and use 1/2 of that disk. Gets a fire going everytime. I like the idea of shavings. Hmm, yeah there's a good excuse to go get a planer!!!!

DavidV said:
I've still got a few firestarters around here that my wife will grab but by far, the best fire starters I have found lately come from my wood shop. I had the wife pick up a bunch of small paper lunch bags and I fill them with shavings. I ran a lot of old spalted walnut thru last month and created about 20 gallons of shavings. I dumped 10 in a mulch bed and have been using the remainder for fire starting. burns nice and slow with a blue flame and gets the wood burning without any other source of kindling.

I assume you know that some plants do not do well with walnut.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

Status
Not open for further replies.