Duraplus Chimney Movement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sockman17

Dec 4, 2022
Indiana
So today, I installed a through the ceiling kit from Duraplus. It's for the 6 inch pipe and is a ceiling mount with box. I followed instructions very clearly and everything is to the book and looks good if I do say so myself, but when I hook up my two 3 foot duraplus chimney pieces, there is a lot of wiggle on top of my roof. As an engineer, I understand there is occasionally room for wiggling, but with only 4 ft above the roof line, I just am feeling as if there is too much side to side movement. All the pieces are locked into regarding the "quick attach method.

Now, it would make sense it wiggles since it only attached to the ceiling box which is made from thin metal and its 6ft of total chimney (only 4 above rooofline). I'm hoping someone can chime in with experience to either give me an idea of what is going on, or confirm that movement is normal for these chimneys.

You have roof flashing and a storm collar all sealed with high temp sensors silicone that has cured thoroughly?

Not completely cured yet per se. But they have been caulked completely and all been put into place. When moving the chimney back and forth, the flashing didn't seem to be moving.

Mine is about the same height as yours. The only thing supporting mine is the ceiling support box, and the flashing and storm collar. It’s rock solid. I cleaned the chimney today. Twisted the cap off and ran a brush about. It’s solid. I assume it’s the silicone that has it locked into the flashing for the upper support.

Yep. For mine anyways, the only things it touches is the ceiling support and the flashing. Don’t have all the locking rings tight?

Not completely cured yet per se. But they have been caulked completely and all been put into place. When moving the chimney back and forth, the flashing didn't seem to be moving.
I don’t remember exactly when I did the install, but there is plenty of visible silicone up there. I imagine I sealed the class A to the flashing, and then added the storm collar and sealed it too. All that is cured and has to be what is bracing the movement. If it were much taller, I would want to add a real brace kit, but it’s fine as is. Check it again tomorrow after the silicone sets, unless you didn’t actually seal it to the flashing that is nailed/screwed to the roof.

I'll jump on the roof tomorrow. But it seemed to lock in. I attempted to pull up pretty hard and it wouldn't budge, just side to side. It's possible the one that locks into the box is loose and I just didn't realize it.