duraplus, duratech, dura.... ARG!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boulderjoe

Oct 4, 2008
Colorado
Can I just vent?! haha. I'm a newbie who bought a Lopi freestanding stove a few months ago. Since I'm handy and I needed to save money I build the hearth pad and then last weekend I installed the Chimney. In Colorado Duravent seems to be the dominant chimney brand so I was in Home Depot and bought the 6" Duravent (duraplus) install kit for stoves. I noticed that in their seasonal handy-dandy winter heating section, they only had 1 piece of 36" stove pipe but I thought that they surely had a complete selection of piping "in the back." I bought the kit and started the install. I measured three times and cut once - I mounted the 14 1/4" box in between 14" rafters (chisels) and I was ready for pipe! Yesterday I hit home depot and they didn't have one section of pipe! NOT ONE FRIGGEN' SECTION!!!! Okay, I was half expecting that and then I went to McGuckins; our savior of a hardware store in Boulder, Colorado. Sure, they were completely stocked but in Duratech and their ceiling box was 12"! I search high and low and Duraplus piping is a myth around here. I tore out the old box, installed the new and I now have a new Duratech chimney! I'm positive I did a great job but I'm new at this. I've read on some websites that they don't sell Durateck to consumers. How can I check my install? What are common things that are missed? How can I get my $200 back from Home Depot? Man, they piss me off!

Sorry we didn't get a query from you before you started. It is confusing. As you've figured out by now, DuraTech is the double-wall pipe and DuraPlus is triple wall pipe, thus the 14" wide ceiling box for DuraPlus. If you can take some photos of the installation at all locations - the stove, the ceiling, the attic, the roof, and post them here that's probably the best way to get more eyeballs on the installation. That and check the clearances and be sure they comply with the stove pipe requirements.

I hear you! I "special ordered" 5 sections of 36 inch pipe with two 30 degree elbows two weeks ago. It was supposed to be here yesterday and HD called to say it would be another week. I HAD to turn on the furnace tonight. I don't know about your neck of the woods but the nights and mornings have been hovering around 30 degrees! HD ticks me off too. But hey, I'm at their mercy till the pipe comes. That damn Englander is just teasing me sitting there all not hooked up!

Status
Not open for further replies.