Duraplus sale at home depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPED

Dec 31, 2007
For those who got the duraplus on sale at home depot, do you know if they ever showed it on their web site for that store? I can't even find a listing for the through the roof kit and 36" pipe sections, and I KNOW that my home depot had those locally because I saw them there. They have nothing left but I wanted to check a couple more nearby and figured it'd be worth a shot on the web before I get on the phone tomorrow. Also, anyone who got em there, where is your store? Figure I can check those online too for comparison.

Ok, I got the kit on sale, 134.50 for the through the ceiling + tax. Noone within 50 miles has any pipe left, dang it. So looks like for what I need will be about 450 total, that's for 3-36" sections, the kit, plus the black stove pipe kit. All duraplus. I could do supervent for about 50 less, but that's double wall and seems like the simpson is better regarded. Anybody wanna ship me some 36" stove pipe sections from their local home depot ;-)

Duraplus is triple wall insulated and air insulated the best of both worlds one more layer of protection!!!!!!!!

I called on a Saturday and bought 15' of dura plus and they had 25 units of 3' sections, when I went to pick it up they were completely sold out of all Chimney stuff except 1 lone piece of stove pipe lying crooked on the shelf. It looked so sad.

I bought my Duraplus of the net at acehardwareoutlet.com $79 for a 36" piece had it in 4 days and I bought my roof kit from northerntool.com for $179 and had it in 3 days.

hedgeburner said:
Duraplus is triple wall insulated and air insulated the best of both worlds one more layer of protection!!!!!!!!

They both have the same rating (same amount of protection) and the Selkirk version uses blanket insulation exclusively which takes less space and therefore the pipe is smaller for the same protection which means smaller holes in the ceiling. Air insulation is used only because it is cheap, the trade off is outside diameter. The second wall does nothing but hold the insulation in place. By the way, air is not allowed to flow through the outside wall during UL testing (all air inlets must be blocked off). Both of these products are economy models sold through big box stores.

FYI DuraPlus costs MORE than the DuraTech chimney last time I looked at it.

jtp10181 said:
FYI DuraPlus costs MORE than the DuraTech chimney last time I looked at it.

Yep agreed, but the one thing to factor in is the cost of buying stuff separately instead of a kit. I couldn't find the pieces I'd need in duratech for the price of the kit in duraplus. Almost made up the difference in the pipe prices for me, especially since I got the kit on sale.

When I installed my pellet stove, the kit was like $350.oo with about 8 expensive parts included that I did not need for my installation.

I ended up buying the parts piecemeal, just what I needed for the install, without having to pay for a whole bunch of extra parts i couldn't use in the kit, for only $110.oo & that included the fresh outside air intake kit, which was a $12.oo heat riser accordian tube 3 ft long for a 1985 chevy v8 from autozone.

Its fireproof because its made to go from the exhaust manifold to the underside of the carb air filter housing.

The factory fresh air intake kit was $99.95 + shipping + handling + state sales tax, all replaced by one $12.oo hose from auto zone.

Buying a installation kit, many times you just end up paying big dollars for an excessivly large collection of parts that you wont use & cant return. This is because they don't know exactly what installation you have in mind,the kit includes all the parts for any installation
immagineable, you use 6 of the 18 parts you paid for.

Usually cheaper to buy just the 6 parts you need seperately & not have to pay for 12 parts you dont need.

They suck a lot of first time stove owners in on this scam, but old timers ,like us, know just what parts we will need & dont buy extra stuff in kits.

new bees would save money to find out all the parts they need & what parts they won't be useing for their particular installation, ahead of time, & buy only the parts they really need.

Yeah I hear ya, it depends on what you are going to use from the kit. In my case I need every single piece in there and could not get them cheaper separately. For 134, I got the chimney cap, flashing, storm collar, attic insulation shield, ceiling support box, and snaplock adapter. For my install it's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.