DuraPlus vs SL300 Chimney Debate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Burner

Dec 8, 2014
NJ
Hello All
I am new to the site and have been reading for quite some time learning a bunch (I hope). This is a wonderful resource.

I am working with a local installer to install a Quadra fire 7100 and have received quotes for both the sl300 and DuraPlus chimney options. I have read here that an insulated chimney is better than air cooled. However, in several threads I've found on this site folks do mention that the air cooled sl300 chimney is safe and will work fine with the 7100.

With this post I am hoping to start a debate with people in the know (users, installers, stove gurus) to discuss the merits of air cooled vs insulated chimneys such as the sl300 vs DuraPlus. Is the extra cost worth it? Is there considerable safety benefit? Longevity? Installation concerns? Operator concerns? Etc.

Thank you in advance.

I think your question may be moot.
The manual, as far as I can determine, does not allow anything
other than the SL300 series air cooled venting.
I have installed a DOZEN of the Northstar EPA-Rated fireplaces.
They are The Heat & Glo version of this unit, & ALL were installed
with the SL300 seies venting components.
If I'm wrong, show me the section of the installation manual that I missed.

Air cooled chimneys are perfectly safe. But they do not preform as well because they cool off the exhaust much more than an insulated chimney

If I'm wrong, show me the section of the installation manual that I missed.
Duraplus is listed on page 4 right under sl300

Well there ya go...I missed it, unless the manual I have has been superceded.
It would be easy to miss i only saw mention of it 2 places. The air cooled chimney will work ok but i think it would be worth getting the insulted one for sure it will work much better. There really should not be any issue with safety of the air cooled one other than the fact that it could have a tendency to cause a little more creosote buildup due to the cooler stack temps.

It would be easy to miss i only saw mention of it 2 places. The air cooled chimney will work ok but i think it would be worth getting the insulted one for sure it will work much better. There really should not be any issue with safety of the air cooled one other than the fact that it could have a tendency to cause a little more creosote buildup due to the cooler stack temps.

Thanks to all for the responses. In my particular situation I will not be burning 24/7. More like one 12hr fire a day. I am assuming that this will provide plenty of opportunity to form creosote as the chimney cools daily. In addition the pipe will be installed in an exterior wall enclosed chase that I will not be able to access unless I rent a man lift. With the sl300, Is it reasonable to assume that an annual chimney cleaning will be sufficient or will my 1 fire a day practice require more frequent cleanings?

Thanks to all for the responses. In my particular situation I will not be burning 24/7. More like one 12hr fire a day. I am assuming that this will provide plenty of opportunity to form creosote as the chimney cools daily. In addition the pipe will be installed in an exterior wall enclosed chase that I will not be able to access unless I rent a man lift. With the sl300, Is it reasonable to assume that an annual chimney cleaning will be sufficient or will my 1 fire a day practice require more frequent cleanings?
That depends on the quality of your wood and how you run the stove. I do not know the 7100 but most stoves are able to be cleaned from the bottom now i am sure someone who knows the stove will chime in and let you know it it can be cleaned from the bottom though. How high is it that you would need a man lift?

That depends on the quality of your wood and how you run the stove. I do not know the 7100 but most stoves are able to be cleaned from the bottom now i am sure someone who knows the stove will chime in and let you know it it can be cleaned from the bottom though. How high is it that you would need a man lift?

From the ground about 40 ft. I have a daylight basement so while standing outside next to the chimney chase the 7100 is 10-12 ft off the ground with 28 of chimney above.

From the ground about 40 ft. I have a daylight basement so while standing outside next to the chimney chase the 7100 is 10-12 ft off the ground with 28 of chimney above.

I have learned from this site that seasoned wood is key. So last summer I CSS 10 cord of red oak, maple ash to be burned next winter.

From the ground about 40 ft.

Well if you are going to have to rent a lift every year to clean i think you should really reconsider the placement of the stove. It is going to get expensive pretty fast. But if it is not quite 40' most sweeps have 40' ladders we charge a little more if we have to bring the 40 but still cheaper than renting a lift. But i would check about bottom cleaning

I just looked it can be cleaned from inside so no need for a lift or a 40' ladder as long as you dont gunk up the cap to bad

Well if you are going to have to rent a lift every year to clean i think you should really reconsider the placement of the stove. It is going to get expensive pretty fast. But if it is not quite 40' most sweeps have 40' ladders we charge a little more if we have to bring the 40 but still cheaper than renting a lift. But i would check about bottom cleaning

Good to know 40Ft is doable. I went through the manual last night and I did not find a discussion on cleaning the chimney from the bottom. I hope some users of this unit will chime in and let me know if it's possible/ easy to do.

Good to know 40Ft is doable. I went through the manual last night and I did not find a discussion on cleaning the chimney from the bottom. I hope some users of this unit will chime in and let me know if it's possible/ easy to do.
The tubes and baffle pull out just like all other quads then you have a straight shot up the flue

I have installed dura plus for both of my stoves, new and old. I don't have the experience to tell you which is better, but what I can say is I haven't had a problem yet with the dura plus... One thing to think about ahead of time though would be to find a less restrictive cap, if you can not get to it avoid the caps that have the metal mesh cage around them, that will clog up first

I would go with the DuraPlus for greater safety. It has a higher temperature rating and should protect better if there is a chimney fire. It will also keep the flue gases hotter which is going to be an issue with a 40 ft chimney. Too cool flue gases = creosote buildup, especially if the wood isn't fully seasoned.

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyp2339
Status
Not open for further replies.