Duratech Firestop Placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Jan 9, 2008
WNC
I am about to start installing my 6" Duratech chimney. I am going from the basement up through a 1st floor closet and out through the roof. I am using a roof support for the basement install as described towards the end of the Duratech manual. With the firestop, the installation instructions say to frame the opening and then attach the firestop from the bottom. Can I frame the opening and attach the firestop to the top?

If I can attach from the top, I could use one of the rafters as a side of the framed opening and save myself a bit of space in the closet, probably an inch and a half at least, and still maintain clearances from the interior wall.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.