DuraTech Vs DuraPlus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

concourspilot

Feb 22, 2016
Central Colorado
So which one? Does the triple wall help with draft? DuraPlus will save me about $300 in the stainless veriety is why I ask.

Follow up question......Stainless or Galvanized? Galvanized has a 15-20% cost savings

No triple wall has less insulation so it will not maintain the internal temps as well as the double wall insulated stuff. So the triple wall stuff would have marginally less draft than double wall and slightly more potential for creosote buildup.
I would never use galvanized outside but it would be ok to use it for the interior portions of the chimney.

I have duraplus. Mine does have 1" of insulation stuffed in. Then the third layer with air gap between. I can place my hand on it when flue temps on single wall exceed 700 and not get even uncomfortable. 2" clearances. I went with all stainless due to aesthetics. It is not cheap however. Ball park figures of $100 for 3" section.

I have duraplus. Mine does have 1" of insulation stuffed in.
Duraplus only has 1/2" of insulation then the airspace while insulated double wall has 1". As far as outside temps and safety between the 2 they are the same but the difference is in the ability to maintain interior temps.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Misprint. I meant the 1/2". Mine is an interior install. Never had to worry about maintaining interior temps. Also a 28' install. Plenty of draft.

Misprint. I meant the 1/2". Mine is an interior install. Never had to worry about maintaining interior temps. Also a 28' install. Plenty of draft.
Yes I know it can work just fine but if you are comparing the two that extra insulation can make a difference. Dura plus is by no means a bad product just double wall insulated is better and the price reflects that

Status
Not open for further replies.