duravent or selkirk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjc1800

Jan 10, 2011
Lithonia Ga
hey folks i will be installing my brand new p68 with in the mext month or so, and im trying to figure out which through the wall vent kit i should go with. im looking at the duravent ac3000 and a similar modal made by selkirk. are they of the same quality, or is on better than the other?

I have Dura-vant on everything I own, But.. I do like the Selkirk Direct Temp. Very fascinating.

This is to mepellet.. Your Signature line about a Bag of Pellets a day is Cute. But that P-61 is gonna chew through 2-3 bags a day if it is going to be a Main Heat source. You may know that already, but when I bought my stove. The sales guy said it would be 2 ton a year. Or about a 1/2 bag a day. That would be the case, if my home was the size of a closet. Still much cheaper to burn 4-4.5 ton of pellets. $800 in Pellets or $4,000 in LP. No Brainer.

Back to the OP, people have good luck with each brand, depends on your budget and the look you want. If your going with a direct vent. Then having separate flue and OAK won't matter. If going straight up or up and out. The Selkirk is a big pipe and gives the look of a Woodstove flue.

Both will work as dex said. Both have there pros and cons.

Pro's

Duravent is available just about every where. Most every stove shop carries them.

Selkirk is a bit easier to keep from leaking

Cons

Duravent is a bit harder to seal to keep from leaking. Joints and seems need sealing! (Yes even the newer pro version has to be sealed inside and out on the interior connections.)

Selkirk is much harder to find and "most likely" will need to be ordered.

I'm replacing mine with ICC Excelpellet. I'll post pics when it's done

imacman said:
j-takeman said:

Dynamite Buys sells Selkirk, and they have great prices, along with fast shipping that's FREE.

www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=67

What I meant was most local stove shop will carry Duravent. You probably will not find selkirk in the local stove dealers/hearth shops. So if you need a quick replacement piece? You might have to wait a bit for it.

The pipe in a pipe system has its good points but the downfall is that the cold outside air will cause the exh temp to drop which can shorten the life of the inner pipe. It isn't noticeable if you are using a short exh system but a long one such as a typical basement system will give you problems.
Bixby used this system and with a basement install the exh failed after 3 years. The inner pipe had holes rust through and as a result the exhaust would be sucked into the incoming outside air causing the stove to run poorly. This problem was caused by the cold outside air cooling the exh off to the point it condensed in the pipe rusting the pipe similar to a car that idles a lot during the winter.
After changing to separate pipes one fresh air and the other exh we eliminated the problem

I like my Selkirk vent... 5 years now, two different locations and still perfect...

imacman said:
j-takeman said:

Dynamite Buys sells Selkirk, and they have great prices, along with fast shipping that's FREE.

www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=67
Just order some extra selkirk pieces from dynamite buys this past saturday.

Called them today and they said it usually takes 2 weeks before they ship. Seems selkirk is behind a bit on their orders. Maybe i will get my stove setup and running by october.

i ended up buying the duravent ac 3000 through the wall kit on line from "overstockstoves.com for $190.00 with free shipping. after looking around that was the best price that i came across on line. i printed out the online ad and took it to my local dealer and he said that there was no way that he could compete with that price.

DexterDay said:
I have Dura-vant on everything I own, But.. I do like the Selkirk Direct Temp. Very fascinating.

This is to mepellet.. Your Signature line about a Bag of Pellets a day is Cute. But that P-61 is gonna chew through 2-3 bags a day if it is going to be a Main Heat source. You may know that already, but when I bought my stove. The sales guy said it would be 2 ton a year. Or about a 1/2 bag a day. That would be the case, if my home was the size of a closet. Still much cheaper to burn 4-4.5 ton of pellets. $800 in Pellets or $4,000 in LP. No Brainer.

Back to the OP, people have good luck with each brand, depends on your budget and the look you want. If your going with a direct vent. Then having separate flue and OAK won't matter. If going straight up or up and out. The Selkirk is a big pipe and gives the look of a Woodstove flue.

DexterDay-I know it will use quite a bit more than one bag. However, it will not be the primary source of heat so I am expecting to use about 2 bags per day. We will see though. You are right that it will be much cheaper than using LP.

Ordered my Selkirk DT from ventingpipe.com and stoveking.com (big runs and fittings were cheaper on ventingpipe.com). Placed my order late Friday, except for a few backordere parts (the VP Tee and Appliance Adapter), all my DT stuff arrive yesterday! Very pleased with the speedy service - though they are obviously an online storefront for somebody else b/c none of the invoices had their name on it.

rona said:
The pipe in a pipe system has its good points but the downfall is that the cold outside air will cause the exh temp to drop which can shorten the life of the inner pipe. It isn't noticeable if you are using a short exh system but a long one such as a typical basement system will give you problems.
Bixby used this system and with a basement install the exh failed after 3 years. The inner pipe had holes rust through and as a result the exhaust would be sucked into the incoming outside air causing the stove to run poorly. This problem was caused by the cold outside air cooling the exh off to the point it condensed in the pipe rusting the pipe similar to a car that idles a lot during the winter.
After changing to separate pipes one fresh air and the other exh we eliminated the problem

Isn't there also the issue of the intake sucking the exhaust air back in?

JBiBBs5 said:

Not really. The air intake is about 16" below the exhaust vent.

54b0dc9c-1-1.jpg

GrahamInVa said:
JBiBBs5 said:

Not really. The air intake is about 16" below the exhaust vent.

54b0dc9c-1-1.jpg

I didn't realize your exhaust exiting through the roof. Some of the setups I've seen have the exhaust coming out of the side of the house with the intake opening attached.

I got Direct Temp from homeclick.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.