Duravent question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2011
midwest
i just installed the vent kit on my spare stove and am unsure about the clean out tee. there is a short three inch run with a cap on it that fits into the bottom of the tee. im getting alot of smoke out of the bottom of this on start up. its hard telling how much carbon monoxide is coming out while its running? its not setting off any detectors yet. whats the best way to seal the bottom? i recently read that sealing over the rope gasket will effect the pipes cooling performance. the little cap on the bottom is riveted, so it cant be removed and seal. the only way to seal that cap from the bottom is to cover the rope gasket, so you can see my delema. i would have gone with selkirk but i got this kit for $100, so it was too good to pass up.

I haven't used the Duravent T, but I have used other Duravent pipes. Also from reading here often, you will realize that Duravent pipe needs sealing. Try using high heat foil tape on the clean T cap. Also use the orange RTV silicone gasket maker, with high heat tolerance, to seal the pipe joints. You can buy some at the auto store.

Make sure follow the manufacturer specifics for installation. Post pics if you can, people here love pics and can diagnose an issue you might not see.

If it is from the joint you can use furnace tape. If it is from the cap, I would drill out the rivets and reseal with high temp silicone.

I ran my system for a week (with no leaks) before I taped all the joints.

high temp foil flue tape or rutland rtv silicone, and lots of it! I have duravent and yes it leaks everywhere! I will be getting new pipe next season.

I regret putting all my research effort into what stove to get and not doing any for the vent.

How they can sell this garbage is beyond me.

don't worry a lot of us did the same thing. When I first lit mine I thought I was in front of a campfire. Lucky for me I had found this web site and I fixed the problem. I've been warm and smokeless ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.