duravent wall thimble kit with OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis.g

Aug 24, 2011
has anyone used this thimble with OAK ?

http://www.amazon.com/DuraVent-4CAS-WTPK-PVP-Wall-Thimble/dp/B005EZ7158

Does it actually draw the combustion air through the outer wall of the exhaust pipe, or does it just pass over the outisde of the exhaust pipe throught baffles in the thumble ? I cant find any pictures of what the inlet looks like on the outside of the house.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated,

francis

Brings air through the thimble around the pipe. To my knowledge Duravent does not have Pellet vent that brings the fresh air in through the pipe itself. The only question I have deals with when the air travels through the flat are before entering the flex pipe. Rough measurements make this a 9"x1" chanel, with an area of 9 sq inches. The flex pipe is 3" with an area of ~22.2 sq inches. If the stove requires 3" inlet I wonder if the thimble has the capacity to provide this. Maybe someone else can comment.

Other than that, it is easy to install. These work nice for a basement if you buy the extra black chanel. Provide a very professional look.

thanks for the help, do you by any chance know if the outside part of the thimble is the same dimensions as the regular 4 inch thimble ? That would make for a really easy install in my case.

Seems awful pricey to me considering the alternatives of doing it yourself.

Simpson makes a thimble with a hole for an OAK. I was told by Dexter Day that it was for an out and up configuration to allow separation for the OAK and the vent termination.

This is my setup!

Attachments

• rps20111231_085053_207.jpg
    rps20111231_085053_207.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 367
Not really, it works but if money is no object then there are better products! but i wanted the pipe asap so lowes had it for $200

Status
Not open for further replies.