Duravent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traildawg

Oct 8, 2013
North Central Ma.
I bought my duravent pipe from home depot and the clearance marked on it is 3" but when I checked duravents website it seemed that the clearance was only one inch. The type of pipe is the 3PVL. Does anyone know which clearance is correct?

Reactions: chriscarl
I bought my duravent pipe from home depot and the clearance marked on it is 3" but when I checked duravents website it seemed that the clearance was only one inch. The type of pipe is the 3PVL. Does anyone know which clearance is correct?
In the US it's 1". In Canada it's 3".

Reactions: jtakeman
Smwilliamson does this for a living. I don't. Better safe than sorry.

No, whatever the listing says is what it is. The older consumer grade Simpson Duravent was 3" in the states too. Go by the listing.
Here is a pic of my dilemma. There is only two inches from the back of the elbow to the floor joist. I could header it off (box it out) but changing the existing floor framing is more than I'd like to do. Is there a type of heat shield I could use? 2013-10-17_10-07-43_788.jpg

Was this pipe recently purchased? Can you return it and find the 2" clearance stuff? Be a heck of a lot easier, I think. Tuff to tell what you're doing from that pic, but you could wrap it in Roxul. Don't know how that would go over with the code police though.

Reactions: Traildawg
Was this pipe recently purchased? Can you return it and find the 2" clearance stuff? Be a heck of a lot easier, I think. Tuff to tell what you're doing from that pic, but you could wrap it in Roxul. Don't know how that would go over with the code police though.
True, I could use Roxul aka (rotten cotton) at least that's what we used to call it. I'm sure that would do it.

When I ask for advice I pay attention to the answers. :cool: I boxed out the joists in question giving me plenty of clearance and since I plan on finishing the basement wall behind the stove I now have the ability to move it as far off the finished wall as needed.

Attachments

• 1382360043127.jpg
    1382360043127.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 2013-10-20_18-17-53_735.jpg
    2013-10-20_18-17-53_735.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 144
Looks good :) Now, insulate those walls! ;)

I am planning on insulating with some rigid foam insulation on the concrete walls :) luckily for me half of the basement walls are above grade and are stick framed and insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.