Durock and Micore Seams

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delp

Jan 6, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
Did a search but nothing surfaced...looking for recommendations on how to deal with seams in Durock NextGen as well Micore. I'll avoid lining up seams in the hearth "sandwich," but are there noncombustible tapes that will work on both or each of these substrates?

Thank you!

I'm no pro and I've yet to build my pad so take this with a grain of salt...

Maybe lay in some 24gauge sheet metal strips over or under the seams? Otherwise you could cut each edge with a bevel/slant to mate with the adjoining piece. Butting up the edges of the micore tightly seems like it would be sufficient for the micore, once the durock is laid on top and fastened down the micore won't be moving.

You definitely want to keep the surface from allowing any embers/sparks from getting through to the combustible surface...lots of people will include a layer of sheet metal in the sandwich. I need to go back and check whether the metal is usually positioned above or below the micore...off handed I would think above it.

Please post your progress on your project.

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks, Ed. Yeah, good call on the 45deg bevel butt joint, as well as the sheet metal. I wonder, though, how easy or possible it is to cut the Micore on a table saw...? Will definitely post progress (with pics), but right now I'm just caught in the maelstrom of ideas and planning.

I don't think this is an issue. Butt the edges of the micore together. The seams of the Durock can be taped with a fiberglass tape, but it's not necessary. The thinset will fill in the minor seams.

Fiberglass tape, Durabond, or thinset. All you need is an air seal. Fire taping a wall just creates an air seal, same thing.
Doug

Thanks, BeGreen. You have given the *correct* answer...=easy!

Alina

EDIT: Thanks to djblech too!

BeGreen said:
I don't think this is an issue. Butt the edges of the micore together. The seams of the Durock can be taped with a fiberglass tape, but it's not necessary. The thinset will fill in the minor seams.

+1 . . . If memory serves me right I skipped out on the fiberglass tape and just used the thinset in the seam between my two sheets of Durock . . . or maybe I used the tape . . . I forget . . . in either case I wouldn't worry too much about this as long as the seams are covered and filled with the thinset in the end so no sparks or embers can get down to the next layer underneath the Durock.

Status
Not open for further replies.