Durock Next Generation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN VAN

Sep 14, 2008
s. jersey
Does anybody know if you can use multiple layers of Durock Next Generation to build a hearth pad?
I am putting in a pad for a 600 firelight.
My thought was 4 layers of Durock Next Gen. & state tile on that.

I don't know if this stuff is "next generation" but we used durock from Lowe's in our hearth, 4 layers of half inch.

If I recall Durock had a website with all the technical data on the stuff we used, including "r" values.

ebay%20139.png

ebay%20142.png

I believed you used regular Durock, I went to the web site but it didn't really specify, maybe I'll call them.

to my knowledge, NG is not satisfactory for hearth construction. It has styrofoam pellets in it. You want to use a pure cement product like the original Durock or Wonderboard for hearths and wallshields. However, to be sure I've contacted USG. Word is they are phasing out the original Durock.

Thanks kind of thought that but just wanted to make sure.
Does anyone know the R rating on the 600 firelight if you use the lower heat sheild?
The book said .89 but my dealer believe that is without a heat shield.

The Wonderboard I had here had styrofoam beads in it.
With 4 layers of Durok, that hearth will be built like a tank.

The F600 manual is very poor with regard to hearth construction. As far as I can see, the R .89 figure is just a calculation example and not related to the actual hearth needs. I believe your dealer is correct. However, there is an explicit statement requiring R=.5 for alcove areas. 2 sheets of Durock would cover that requirement.

The stove is not going in a alcove, i just want to cover my but for the fire inspector.

As far as I can see the alcove requirement is the highest. Other than that it's mostly spark and ember protection. On page 6 it just says "non-combustible surface". If you really want to impress your inspector, put a sheet of thin sheet metal (28 ga is fine) between the two layers of Durock.

From the manual:

4.1 Floor Protection
Floor protection under the stove must be constructed of a noncombustible
material for protection from radiant heat, sparks,
and embers.
Individual sections of floor protection must be mortared
together to prevent sparks from falling through to combustible
materials. Any carpeting must be removed from under the floor
protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.