Durock strips behind Durock sheets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bowhunter3714

Dec 6, 2007
Missouri
Anyone know if using 2 inch strips of Durock as spacers behind my 3' x 5' Durock fire bearier is ok? Or should I be using the spacer kits sold it the stores? Also what type of screws, i can't find Durock screws long enough 3 1/2".

Its fine but Id use 3" strips less then that tends to break pretty easy when you screw it. Use reg Doroc screws and put it up 1 layer at a time. If your worried about strength use construction adheavsive or thin set between the layers

Yes, if you go back to previous posts on this subject by me you will find a link to Durock's instructions for building a wall shield. They recommend using Durcock strips. But make them wider, like 3-4". Durock is too crumbly in narrow strips. No need to use adhesive. I'd be a little concerned about the flammability of glues.

I found the link:
http://tinyurl.com/nmmt3

Status
Not open for further replies.