Durock Under a New Install ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillT

Aug 26, 2008
Moneta, VA
Haven't posted in a while. Just wondering if Durock is still the best product out there for an underlayment for a new Woodstove install over a combustible floor.

I'm planning on a Ceramic Tile Floor, but want to put in the best material under it to achieve the proper R-Value required.

Thanks

That answer will depend on what the "NEW" woodstove is
& what the owners/install manual dictates.
Not all stoves are created the same.

I have an Englander 13-NC that requires a 2.0 R-Value under it.

1/2" Durock has an R-value of .200.
1/4" Ceramic tile is at .020.
1/2" NEXT GENERATION Durock is at .390.
So 10 sheets of Durock + the tile or 5 sheets of NG Durock + the tile...
You are talking a very thick hearthpad...

Yeah, that's what I had figured on the last time I checked into it, 5 Sheets of NG. Englander recommends Micore (sp) but I just can't find any locally.

Just wanted to make sure that there is nothing new out there I could use.

Having about a 3 Inch Riser is no problem. I think it would look good really.

Appreciate the info.

Check the specs that came with the stove. Can you get a bottom heat shield?

My f400 requires an R-Value of 2.0 but with the heat shield the only requirement is that the floor be non-combustible. Made hearth construction a lot easier.

Side Shields were available and I have bought them. No Bottom Shields were, but I haven't checked with them in a while. I'll have to give them a call. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill

Also consider the weight. That durock stuff was nearly 100# per layer.

Also consider the weight. That durock stuff was nearly 100# per layer.

I basically will need 3 X 5 Sheets. Weight listed is 38 Lbs per sheet.

Yeah, that's what I had figured on the last time I checked into it, 5 Sheets of NG. Englander recommends Micore (sp) but I just can't find any locally.

Just wanted to make sure that there is nothing new out there I could use.

Having about a 3 Inch Riser is no problem. I think it would look good really.

Appreciate the info.
Sourcing Micore is tough. When I was looking for it everyone I talked to could order it if you needed an entire load. I learned that office cubicle walls are made from it and was able to find some for $5 each and just stripped them down. One thing I have learned since that endeavor is that it may often be cheaper to look at a more expensive stove with a lesser R-value that try and build a hearth to meet a higher R-value.

You may be able to find a ready made hearth pad and just cover it with your choice of tile/stone.

Sourcing Micore is tough. When I was looking for it everyone I talked to could order it if you needed an entire load. I learned that office cubicle walls are made from it and was able to find some for $5 each and just stripped them down. One thing I have learned since that endeavor is that it may often be cheaper to look at a more expensive stove with a lesser R-value that try and build a hearth to meet a higher R-value.

Exactly how I found it to be when I researched it. The directions with the stove made it sound like it was at every other building material outlet, but as you have also found, it is not.

I also heard about the Office Cubicle Walls idea, but after calling all around locally, I found it to be more trouble than it is worth.

As far as another stove goes, I already have this one bought, delivered and in place. I did some thorough research on it and found it to be a real good choice for my application.

So far this has been the only drawback, but if no Bottom Shields are currently available, the 3 Inch Hearthpad will not be that much of a problem.

You may be able to find a ready made hearth pad and just cover it with your choice of tile/stone.

I did check into that too, but I believe one of the problems was that it is not recommended to be cut. I need the Hearthpad to be custom built into a corner.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.