DUROCK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ROYJ24

Oct 3, 2007
S. JERSEY
Can 1/2" Durock take the weight of 225 LBS pedestal wood stove size 23"x21"?

I used 3/4 plywood and covered it with 1/2 durock .

Properly supported it will take many times that weight. Unsupported it won't take anything near that.

If you are placing your Durock directly on a sub-floor of some sort you will have no problem with weight distribution. If you are building a hearth you will need stringers on 12" centers then a number of layers of Durock. Check local codes.

I'm no expert, but is this an issue of concentrated loads? Like, would a pedestal spread the weight over a bigger area than feet?

I'm down to the plywood. The pedestal is under 4sqft 225/4 = 56.25lbs per sq ft

Well can you stand on it?? I'm sure you weigh more then 56lbs and your footprint is probably around 1 sqft.

assuming its fully supported

I used durock to span the gaps of a platform frame made of steel studs. I found a single layer of durock pretty flexy while walking around on it. Probably about as flexy as similar thickness plywood before screwing it down. Once I screwed down the first layer of durock and then added a second layer with thinset between them, the laminate durock "deck" was much more stiff and flexiness was almost undetectable and partially cuased by the steel studs. Then after the final layer of thinset and tile setting, the platform has no apparent flex at all. The 500 lb stove on legs did not poke through thank goodness.

To answer your question. Yes it can. Unless you install the durock improperly. Durock looks to be simply a thin layer of concrete with a mesh reinforcement. I've mixed concrete that took well over 10,000 psi of compression. The rock sheared where the cylinder finally failed.

Attachments

• stoveroom.jpg
    stoveroom.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 273
Please excuse the hijacking....

I am a civil engineer and one of our classes on concrete included a competition to make the cylinder with the highest compressive strength using whatever admixtures and curing treatments we could think of. The university has one of those 3 or 4 story crushers which we used to win the competition and the professor took our little team to dinner at one of the local breweries. I want to say we hit just over 14000 psi and yes there was a steel mesh screen to help protect us from the shrapnel. It didn't explode but just sort of popped into a few large chunks. Fond memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.