Dust and air purifiers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davevassar

Oct 30, 2007
South Central MA
The wife has been complaining about the amount of dust in the house since we fired up the pellet stove this year. What does everyone here do to cut down on the dust? I was wondering if one of those ionic purifier would help.

Ive got the medium sized one. It has three settings, on high you might notice it, I run mine on 2 and you can barely notice it. I fill it every night before I go to bed, and the resivoir is almost out, every time. I rinse the basin out every week, as the water gets a little nasty.

davevassar said:
The wife has been complaining about the amount of dust in the house since we fired up the pellet stove this year. What does everyone here do to cut down on the dust? I was wondering if one of those ionic purifier would help.
From my understanding of the way an ionizer works is that it does not actually remove dust from the air,,,it only "charges" the particles so they then attach themself easily to other substances in the room such as furniture,curtains or rugs. So I guess they SO OF do "remove" dust from the air in a sense..LOL. Mostly just redistribute the dust.
Also, I 've heard that the ozone released is not proven completely safe. I think I have this info correct. So much better would be, as I use near the stove, is a HEPA filter. It really grabs and removes the dust from the air, but it is best when left to run continuously I have found.

Status
Not open for further replies.