1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. TheSteelFabricator

TheSteelFabricator Member

Loc:
    akron,oh
    How many clean off their gassers, pumps and piping before cleaning the rest of the house.lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BoilerMan

BoilerMan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Count me in, wipe, glass cleaner, wax and polish.............yes all of it.

TS
  3. I haven't given it a coat of wax yet, but I do have dedicated bottle of windex for the boiler room. Is that wrong?
  4. BoilerMan

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Nope!

TS
  5. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    ;lol I do. And yes, you all have a problem as well. I am past my due date of wiping everything down in my boiler room. I have been lazy in that area. I will report for duty first thing in the am after I have fed the mutleys and got them outside for some exercise.
  6. Fred61

Fred61 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeastern Vt.
    You guys are making me feel guilty. If I make it back from my long trip in the snow tomorrow perhaps I dedicate some time Friday to the task. One thing that got me talking to myself the other day was that I don't have a trace of smoke stain above the loading door like some that I've seen in photos on this site.
  7. BoilerMan

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Same here Fred, smoke stains just look bad. By the look of some, and most are in boiler sheds so it doesn't matter. If they are inside units though, it must be the equivelant of 3-4 Marlboro's every time you load the boiler, eeeshh. Really should try and cut back some ;)

TS
  8. TheSteelFabricator

TheSteelFabricator Member

Loc:
    akron,oh
    Ok, gasser and pipes cleaned off, but now the carpet in the basement, I have a 1 1/2 year old Samoyed that thinks its funny to grab wood off the pile, bring it on the carpet and play wood chipper,
    Gasifier likes this.
  9. Gasifier

Gasifier Minister of Fire

Loc:
    St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
    I have two lab mixes that like to do that. They must get jealous of seeing us handling the wood and not petting them as much as they would like. ;lol Of course mine would like you to pet them all the time if you would.
  10. JP11

JP11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I've got a puppy that's half dalmatian.. and 3/4 crazy. He does the wood chipper routine too. He's a pretty good boiler buddy though. Will always follow me downstairs to load. Be he usually spends his time in the basement looking for something to destroy.

I've been just blowing the dust off... but that's a losing battle. Time for some windex I guess.
  11. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I don't worry about it. That's why it's outside in it's own building.
  12. ihookem

ihookem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Allenton, Wisconsin
    Me neither. I clean it off once a year. It's outside though. I do wipe the pump once in a while and the fan too. It looks bad, full of black in the front but don't think it hurts.
  13. woodsmaster

woodsmaster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N.W. Ohio
    I blow the dust off the fan, sweep up around the boiler and call it good !
  14. KenLockett

KenLockett Member

Loc:
    Eastern Upstate NY
    Clean mine regularly as well like its a Cadillac.. FYI, when I first installed put a coat of automotive wax on all painted surfaces and took some paint off of surfaces. Wouldnt have know it looking at it now but saw it on the polish rag. Now I just clean dust off all surfaces with damp rag.