Dusty Premeir Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Morrissey

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2009
Stoughton, Ma
Anyone else find these pellets pretty dusty? Though they burn hot and not much ash, and were very cheap at tsc. 193. a ton

i got a ton at tsc also.they do burn hot and are a good shoulder pellet.i agree with the dust so i'm in the process of putting together one of those pellet vacs.cost me $20 in pvc and having fun putting it all together..i'm in norton just up the street from tsc so i'll be getting my shoulder pellets there.then to berkley to get some okies.happy burning

corkman said:
....i agree with the dust so i'm in the process of putting together one of those pellet vacs.cost me $20 in pvc and having fun putting it all together.....

Post some pics of the vac when you get it done.

jack56 said:
Anyone else find these pellets pretty dusty? Though they burn hot and not much ash, and were very cheap at tsc. 193. a ton
I burn them and like them, yes they are hot ,and I am surprised as how dusty they are this year .
Last year burning them was just as hot and alot less dust. At 193/ton is a good deal.
Round here it's about 240/ton.

I burned some last season and they were not dusty at all. Was trying to get some at the local TSC but they only had the Instant heat and Lignetics green label. They might get some this week maybe.

What color wraper did the premiers have? I only see the tan color(instant heats) and black(lignetics) at the local TSC. Somersets have also been reported with white wraper.

I haven't burned any Premier but find the Barefoots my best choice yet.

If you want to build yourself a nice pellet vac, you can view my posts with video, diagram and pics that I posted some time ago. I still use this exact vacuum setup for every bag. Some find the idea of vacuuming pellets overkill, but I don't mind doing it and it does help eliminate most of the dust that some may have an alergy to and keeps things cleaner. It also reduces the chance of any problems due to excess dust in the stove/auger.

Check my posts here.

Dusty?, That's Okies, dustiest pellet I've ever got to try, burn nice but ohh the Dust!!

j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
dust can make for higher heat reading via "real world testing"

Huh??
think of a pellet & dust vs a wood split & a smaller split= the smaller bulk results in hotter burn from more surface area to burn at that moment

~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Huh??
think of a pellet & dust vs a wood split & a smaller split= the smaller bulk results in hotter burn from more surface area to burn at that moment

I take the dust compressed into a very dense pellet. I give the dust makes them slide better in the hopper. But more heat? IDK. Doesn't most of it just flash off and fly away just like the embers?

j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:
j-takeman said:
~*~vvv~*~ said:

Huh??

I take the dust compressed into a very dense pellet. I give the dust makes them slide better in the hopper. But more heat? IDK. Doesn't most of it just flash off and fly away ksut lek the embers?

Jay, in this case, hard to argue w/ pook....regardless of what form the wood is in (dust, splinters, pellet, etc), if it burns, it's adding heat to the stove.

Even so, I STILL vacuum all my pellets to remove the dust.....don't need it flying around the living room & kitchen after filling the stove, and the TINY amount of additional heat I'd get isn't worth the mess.

I purchased the Premier's at TSC in Taunton a few weeks ago. I bought the ton about 3 days before a 30% coupon showed up in the mail.
So I ended up paying $219/ton. I guess the extra $20 bought me the non-dusty ones :)

So far I have burned 6 bags.

I have not noticed any dust with mine. I generally don't care about dust. I just split the top of the bag and dump it in. The Enviro just eats them up.

The Premier's seem to burn OK. Lot of ash and a bit dirty. Good heat.

Much better than Natures Heat or Inferno's from last year.

---Nailer---

I normally don't sift/screen either. Just when I am testing to see what fines there is in the batch. Like your Enviro my does the same. :) The screen I have was built for when I burn corn. Local farmer didn't screen it very well. I just vac the hopper once in a blue moon.

j-takeman said:
I burned some last season and they were not dusty at all. Was trying to get some at the local TSC but they only had the Instant heat and Lignetics green label. They might get some this week maybe.

What color wraper did the premiers have? I only see the tan color(instant heats) and black(lignetics) at the local TSC. Somersets have also been reported with white wraper.

Tan,orange and red.

What color wraper did the premiers have? I only see the tan color(instant heats) and black(lignetics) at the local TSC. Somersets have also been reported with white wraper.[/quote]

j-takeman said:

Are you talkin about the Premiers AKA Appalacian?
I only picked up a couple of bags at TSC to try out, but mine were not dusty at all.

Attachments

• premier_appalacian.jpg
    premier_appalacian.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 193
tinkabranc said:
j-takeman said:

I only picked up a couple of bags at TSC to try out, but mine were not dusty at all.

Yes, I don't mean the bag. What color was the pallet wrapped in?

I can see TSC's supply on my ride by. Right now they have Tan which is Instant heat and Black which is Lignetics. I'll stop if I see white cause that should be Somersets. Or maybe white is Premiers?

~*~vvv~*~ said:
dust or fines in a diagonal auger might collect & stress the auger

I am on my 3rd top feed stove. I have not had an issue with dust on any of them. Most of the dust just collects in the hopper. Long pellets is another story.

j-takeman said:
tinkabranc said:
j-takeman said:

I can see TSC's supply on my ride by. Right now they have Tan which is Instant heat and Black which is Lignetics. I'll stop if I see white cause that should be Somersets. Or maybe white is Premiers?

Oops, misunderstood....White covers...

tinkabranc said:
j-takeman said:
tinkabranc said:
j-takeman said:

Oops, misunderstood....White covers...

Thanks tink! :) I will try to get 2 bags and add to the 2010 testing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.