Dutch oven cooking tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
I'm fully expecting to have no power by this evening, but I have a good sized Dutch oven that will just fit into the wood furnace, which I'll be firing up. Once the house is warm and I have a good coal bed going, I'd like to try cooking in it. Post your best Dutch oven recipes and cooking tips!

IMG_20121030_115647.jpg

Getting supper on ...

Biggest problem you might find with using your dutch oven inside the furnace is the heat you'll be creating inside the furnace if it's your only source of power.
I'd try to use it like Tuneighty and put it on top if possible.
If you let the coals die down, it is also possible to cook bread inside the firebox area, if you can push the coals over to one side and make bread just using self raising flour, salt, water, and some fat.
Pizzas are an easy step on from there.........

IMG_4790.jpg

That little pizza was cooked in our firebox after we pushed the hot coals over to one side.

Good luck, let us know how you get along, don't go hungry or cold, that's when things get hard..........

Thanks for the ideas woodchip. Another option would be Mountain Pie Makers, aka Pie Irons. We use them heavily when camping. Stromboli, sausage gravy in between biscuits, cornbread mix with a bit of chili, then top it with more cornbread mix. I have even made bagels in them whilst camping.

http://www.pieiron.com/

Always happy to help!

With fire irons, you'll be ok for making pannini's too then..... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.