Dutch West 2183 (FA264) model Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VARedDirt

Oct 18, 2010
Central VA
Hi, new to the forum and hoping to get some good info. I am looking at purchasing a used Vermont Casting model # 2183, I see that it was manufactured between 1990 an 1993, give or take, I have found all the mauals online. My questions are, 1. is this a good stove? I have always liked the dutch west and have read good things about it. 2. The stove looks to not have been used much and well taken care of, but when looking throught the front doors, the back left corner seems to be seperated (Back grate and side wall) so that air would pass through to the back chamber from the side, will this effect the stoves operation, is it supposed to be that way, and can stove cement be used to close the gap up? The gap only seems to be about a 1/16" or a little more. As far as the exterior goes, it seems to be very tight! And one more question, what else should I be looking at on this stove to ensure it is in fact in good shape? Thanks for any help and/or advice!

Kevin (Soon to be wood stove owner, hopfully)

VARedDirt said:
Hi, new to the forum and hoping to get some good info. I am looking at purchasing a used Vermont Casting model # 2183
Welcome. What is the price?

The price is $300, but hoping to get it for $250. The exterior seems to be in mint condition, no cracks, seperations or blemishes. The interior shows signs of use, but not much, compared to most stoves I have looked at, just that one issue of the back plate seperation. Does anyone know about this (as mentioned in my original post)? Thanks

Welcome to the forum! Be warned there are many here that despise our stove however they last a very long time and need very few parts.. These stoves hate wet/green wood so be sure your wood is ready to burn.. To find out more take advantage of the search box located in the upper left of this screen and you'll find lots here posted on any stove..

Ray

Thanks for the info raybonz, I have done a search and did not find out a whole lot about this particular model, but will continue to do my homework before I make my decision.

Thanks and input from others is welcome.... good or bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.