Dutch West 2461 gasket placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

racerdog

Oct 6, 2014
Westminster, MD
It's been several weeks since I cleaned the 2461. I've replaced the door gaskets but can't remember the placement of the gasket for the top plate. Is there a diagram out there or could someone post a pic of the placement?

Can you post a pic of the underside of the top? I'm assuming it's similar to my 2460...

DSC04662.JPG
DSC04663.JPG
DSC04662.JPG DSC04663.JPG Woody, I'm certain the gasket goes in the "horseshoe" that surrounds the refractory device. Do I put gasket in the straight channels on the backside and sides? Nothing in the front? Thanks!

Yep, that's pretty much identical to my 2460. You install the 3/8" gasket in the top, in the groove, all the way around the horseshoe and across the back. I cleaned the groove first with an angle grinder with a cable brush wheel. Then put a decent amount of gasket cement (but not too much) in the groove and lay in the gasket, gently pressing it into the cement with all of your fingertips.
This spring, before the end of the season, I replaced all the gaskets in the stove and sealed the vertical seams inside the firebox with gasket cement/stove sealer, then tried it out for several weeks. It's still in, since I haven't fixed the Keystone air leak yet. Not in a big hurry to do that, though....I kinda like the little black stove. >> Just ordered the gasket set for my SIL's 2460 and will do the same to that stove. It's leaking a bit of air as well, and since I'm cutting her wood I'd like to slow down the burn a little more. :)
You can cut a couple short pieces of interam gasket, fold 'em in half lengthwise, and stuff 'em down in the grooves on each end of the inner top web (the piece between the cat and the bypass door.) You can also clean the baffle from below in the firebox, if you don't want to remove the cat and replace the interam gasket. With a clean baffle, you can look up through the door glass and see the cat glowing. :cool:
http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/745276/products/Vermont-Castings-Gasket-Kit.html

Thanks! So, just to make sure I understand. The gasket goes around the horseshoe and across the back. Not down each side?
That's correct. Your gasket will surround the entire catalyst housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.