Dutch West 2462 cat temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kool_hand_Looke

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2013
Illinois
For the most part, I understand how the catalyst works.

What I don't get is sometimewy firebox will be 350-400 with cat temps at 1300...but sometimes the firebox will cook off to 550-600 and the catalyst might be 900. I understand that the catalyst levels off and is on cruise control. Only thing I can think is increased gassing at certain points.

For the most part, I understand how the catalyst works.

What I don't get is sometimewy firebox will be 350-400 with cat temps at 1300...but sometimes the firebox will cook off to 550-600 and the catalyst might be 900. I understand that the catalyst levels off and is on cruise control. Only thing I can think is increased gassing at certain points.
Yep..once in cruise i have seen my probe at 2/3 for a hour or so then it can be even less for awhile then all of a sudden it can be past the last mark.

It's odd that it gets blazing hot at lower temps.

I think my wood sucks right now too. We got a foot of snow, then it all melted...then rained 2" in a matter of 5 days. Blowing all over my nice cherry.

And is it right that wet wood will ruin at catalyst? I've heard this a few times. I just replaced mine about a month ago.

If you've got some flame in the box, that will be eating some of the smoke so the cat will be cooler but the stove top can get hotter.
I think my wood sucks right now too. We got a foot of snow, then it all melted...then rained 2" in a matter of 5 days. Blowing all over my nice cherry.

And is it right that wet wood will ruin at catalyst? I've heard this a few times. I just replaced mine about a month ago.
I think that Cherry can soak up moisture. I'll throw in a piece from a top-covered stack (can get rain blowing in on the ends,) but I've had it on the porch, totally protected for a couple of weeks, and I'll still hear it hissing and might even see a little damp spot on the end of the split...can even be toward the center of the split end. Now, I just used a couple of cherry splits up front and the rest of the load is Oak, BL or what have you. If I load up with all Cherry and run the stove low, the window will be opaque in the morning. That may not be a problem with a hotter-running tube stove.
As long as you burn in the load and get the stove up to temp before you close the bypass, I think you'll be OK. I believe the problems come when you have the cat burning hot, then open the stove to throw in a couple more pieces of wet wood, which subjects the cat to thermal shock (if it's a ceramic cat.)

I can see the cat glowing if I look up through the glass and baffle on the 2460 (kind of hard to see unless I have just the right angle.) I'm guessing it's also visible on the 2462?

If you've got some flame in the box, that will be eating some of the smoke so the cat will be cooler but the stove top can get hotter.
I think that Cherry can soak up moisture. I'll throw in a piece from a top-covered stack (can get rain blowing in on the ends,) but I've had it on the porch, totally protected for a couple of weeks, and I'll still hear it hissing and might even see a little damp spot on the end of the split...can even be toward the center of the split end. Now, I just used a couple of cherry splits up front and the rest of the load is Oak, BL or what have you. If I load up with all Cherry and run the stove low, the window will be opaque in the morning. That may not be a problem with a hotter-running tube stove.
As long as you burn in the load and get the stove up to temp before you close the bypass, I think you'll be OK. I believe the problems come when you have the cat burning hot, then open the stove to throw in a couple more pieces of wet wood, which subjects the cat to thermal shock (if it's a ceramic cat.)

I can see the cat glowing if I look up through the glass and baffle on the 2460 (kind of hard to see unless I have just the right angle.) I'm guessing it's also visible on the 2462?
I think my baffle may be plugged too. Can I brush it off or do I need a new one?

When I say plugged...it's not PLUGGED...but it's on it's way.

You can just remove some of the creo from the holes with a screwdriver. Just don't push it through too far; The air distributor is above the baffle, and the cat is above that.

Reactions: Kool_hand_Looke
Status
Not open for further replies.