Dutch West 2462 lack of air to chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amadorhill

Feb 10, 2016
Jackson, CA
I have a Vermont Castings Dutch West Wood stove Model 2462 that I have used for 14 years with no problems other than puffing. I recently bought oak wood and feel it may not be seasoned. It was wet from recent rains so I dried it, and it does not burn properly. Now, even my previous oak doesn't burn well because there seems to be a lack of draft into the chamber when the vents on the front of the stove are opened. I cleaned the chimney, and the inside top of the stove including the cat converter (4+ years old, good one from Condar), but the door has to be opened to get any draft. Anyone have any ideas?

It does sound like the wood. Can you get some known dry wood for a test?

Also, how is the draft? What are the outside temps? Mild outside temps + poorly seasoned wood can lead to a very balky stove.

Puffing is an indicator of marginal draft. What is your chimney setup? How tall, vented into a masonry chimney, stainless liner to the top? Wet wood sure doesn't help. When you throw a few splits on a good coal bed, do they hiss or bubble water out the ends?

When you cleaned the chimney, was the cap screen cleaned also?

It does sound like the wood. Can you get some known dry wood for a test?

Also, how is the draft? What are the outside temps? Mild outside temps + poorly seasoned wood can lead to a very balky stove.
Have used dry wood, does not help. Something has changed with the airflow. Have stopped using the wood that is not seasoned.

What are outdoor temps? Is there a cleanout door or cap? If yes was this sealed tightly after cleaning?

Our stove will perform poorly with 60F outside temps and that's with a 20' straight up flue. You can try opening a nearby window and start the fire with 2x4 cutoffs to warm up the stove and chimney. if that helps, mix in some more cutoffs with the firewood.

Our stove will perform poorly with 60F outside temps and that's with a 20' straight up flue.
And yours is on a stainless liner to the top, which the OP may not have...

Thanks all. Appreciate your suggestions, am having the area dealer come tomorrow to check it out, will let you know results.

Dealer could find nothing wrong with the stove, after taking loose the inside panels exposing the air chambers, no blockage. Now it seems to work fine. He thought it was in good working order and could see no reason for it not burning properly. All the unseasoned wood will just have to sit!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.