Dutchwest 1000 (plate steel non-catalytic) questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrick

Dec 31, 2006
www.lecomteowners.com
Hi,

We just bought a house that came with a Dutchwest 1000 (the plate steel non-catalytic model) already installed. It's working fine, but has one odd thing that I can't find in the manual or anywhere online: there is an opening in the back of the stove, pretty much squarely in the middle, which is half blocked by a metal plug. On start up if the stove starts slowly, we get smoke drifting out of this hole - never much, not really a big deal - but it definitely seems odd.

I'm guessing that it's an air intake for the "afterburners" (secondary combustion air injected on the top of the firebox), but I don't know for sure. I do find it odd that it's half plugged - why not all plugged, or not plugged at all? Is it maybe where an exterior air source would be hooked up if one were desired?

One other question that's not nearly so interesting - there is what looks like a control handle off of the back of the stove on the left hand side (looking at the stove from the front) - but it seems to be just bolted there, doesn't want to move, wouldn't be strong enough to lift the stove from, etc. Seems odd, but doesn't really bother me.

Anyone either have one of these stoves or know them well enough to tell me anything about mine?

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks, it is indeed, and I even have a paper copy of it that came with the house - but it makes no mention that I can find of an opening on the back of the stove. I guess I'll just make sure that I light it quickly and there won't be too much smoke out the back (it's only when there's not much heat for draft and a smoky fire lighting that there is a problem. Still strikes me as odd, of course, but there you go.

Thanks,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.