Dutchwest 2461 dismantle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r_towle

Sep 28, 2013
Hi,

I just got a dutchwest 2461 catalytic stove that needs work.
I need to remove the front damper setup, and hopefully the front facing wall to clean up and possibly replace the two vent flaps that are very rusty due to storage.

Does anyone have pictures, more than the standard diagram of parts I keep finding?

Basically, where are all the bolts for the front panel located?
I found two up top under the lid.
I already snapped on of the long bolts that appear to hold the front venting system to the front wall.

If I remove all four of those longer bolts that attach the front venting assembly, can I then remove that and expose the front wall bolts?

I have a well equipped shop, so drilling out broken and snapped studs is something I can deal with, though not with a smile.

I figure if I do have to snap all four of the longer bolts for the venting assembly, so be it.
Just as long as I can take the front panel off, get it to my machine and remove the remaining sections of bolt.

Hi,

I just got a dutchwest 2461 catalytic stove that needs work.
I need to remove the front damper setup, and hopefully the front facing wall to clean up and possibly replace the two vent flaps that are very rusty due to storage.

Does anyone have pictures, more than the standard diagram of parts I keep finding?

Basically, where are all the bolts for the front panel located?
I found two up top under the lid.
I already snapped on of the long bolts that appear to hold the front venting system to the front wall.

If I remove all four of those longer bolts that attach the front venting assembly, can I then remove that and expose the front wall bolts?

I have a well equipped shop, so drilling out broken and snapped studs is something I can deal with, though not with a smile.

I figure if I do have to snap all four of the longer bolts for the venting assembly, so be it.
Just as long as I can take the front panel off, get it to my machine and remove the remaining sections of bolt.

Did you try here ?
http://pelletstoveparts.biz/product/dutchwest-model-2460-2461-and-2462-wood-stove-manual-2/

To get the front off the stove, you are really looking at a complete rebuild. It goes together kinda like a puzzle. The sides, back and front all go onto the bottom of the stove and are cemented and bolted together at the same time. Which makes taking only the front off very difficult. Whats going on with it that requires it to be taken apart?

I would just blow some compressed air up there and if it seems that the air is flowing through to the air wash, call it a day. These stoves are know to have warped panels. If that's the case, it's gonna be hard to get it back together if you take it apart.

I'm with Woody on this, my 2460, after 15 years or so of service now has a twisted bottom grate and top inner plate. Be sure all your shell parts are still straight before breaking it down or it could get very costly rebuilding it.

I might just try to seal the joints from inside the stove, with some gasket cement (the kind that dries like furnace cement, but is runnier when applying it.)

My issue is the stove sat in a barn, seems to have gotten rusty and the lower front vent assembly won't budge.
Seems the only thing to do it remove the four long bolts ( and break them) to get that flapper door assembly out of there and clean it up to working condition.

Now this issue will be how to get those four long bolts out, which will have no heads and break off easily.

Are they threaded into the front cast iron panel?

I don't want to remove the front panel, but if I need to drill out the bolts, not sure I could fit a drill in there to do it right.
That is why I am asking about how to remove the front panel, at least before I start snapping more bolts off...

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.