Dutchwest 2461 Inner Top Web and Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm ok..so my gaskets I replaced probably need to be checked again..sorry I have been asking so many questions! First time I did any maintenance on the stove and want to make sure its working ok

No "sorries" needed, it was winter 3 before I had that, "oh, that's how this is supposed to work" moment. The flames, are they coming from the wood or from the corners of the stove where the sides meet the back and front?

Coming from the wood, have the primary air almost totally closed and still getting pretty strong flames

Yup, sounds like gaskets, you can adjust the door latches as well. When you put in the new gaskets you were careful to use the right sizes?

Yea, I got the door latches pretty tight. I used the biggest gaskets that the kit came with (it called for 7/16" ones for the side, front, and ashpan doors, which were the biggest). I packed them in as tight as I could, and they "puff" out past the door seal if that makes sense, as in they aren't flush with the edge of the door. I figured that was the right way to have them as I couldn't them to pack in the grooves any further (I did scrape out all of the old cement)

Yea, I got the door latches pretty tight. I used the biggest gaskets that the kit came with (it called for 7/16" ones for the side, front, and ashpan doors, which were the biggest). I packed them in as tight as I could, and they "puff" out past the door seal if that makes sense, as in they aren't flush with the edge of the door. I figured that was the right way to have them as I couldn't them to pack in the grooves any further (I did scrape out all of the old cement)

Hmm, and the glass gasket? As I type my little 2460 temp probe is cruisn' at 1200, primary shut down to tight and backed off a very very slight amount, no flames other than occasional whiffs of floating fire.

I didn't replace the glass gasket, it looked ok to me but maybe I should try that? I can also try tightening the door latches next time the stove is cool. The funny thing is there seems to be more air getting to the firebox since I replaced the gaskets than before, and they were all in pretty rough shape

I didn't replace the glass gasket, it looked ok to me but maybe I should try that? I can also try tightening the door latches next time the stove is cool. The funny thing is there seems to be more air getting to the firebox since I replaced the gaskets than before, and they were all in pretty rough shape

Well it seems air is getting in somewhere. I remember when I last replaced the gaskets the doors were difficult to close, they were so tight I considered slacking off the latches, but after a few days everything seemed to settle in. If your comfortable that the doors are sealing properly all that is left is the glass gasket.

Yea.. I'm going to see how it runs the next few days and go from there I think. I can replace the glass gasket and tighten up the doors too to see if it makes a difference.. Appreciate the help

Yea.. I'm going to see how it runs the next few days and go from there I think. I can replace the glass gasket and tighten up the doors too to see if it makes a difference.. Appreciate the help[/quote]

<shrug> it's what folks do here, and why many hang around. ;)

Air slipping pass the cat should not be the cause of flames in the firebox. Flames in the firebox is usually because you have too much oxygen in the firebox.
Exactly what I was trying to get at, but i guess I didn't say it. Cleaning the Cat when it's been plugged will result in better draft, but not excessive draft. You said your temps were close to normal? Did you do the Dollar Bill test?

Right..they get up to around 1000 but once the flames die down (due to the wood burning down) it drops fairly quickly...which also makes me think the cat might be bad? I did the dollar bill test when I first replaced the gaskets but could it be that they have settled a bit and the doors need to be tightened more?

Status
Not open for further replies.