dutchwest 2462 gasket help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

starbux1775

Feb 25, 2013
Hey all. I'm very new to the wood burning community, I moved in with my aunt who has a Dutchwest 2462. The gasket on the left side door however is coming loose. I read about a dollar bill test in another thread, my questions are: what is this test? How hard is it to replace these gaskets, and if the gasket is still good what kind of adhesive (if any) should be used to secure it?

This is the primary winter heat source for this home so it's a big concern for me that it runs as well as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20130225_120121.jpg
    20130225_120121.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 20130225_120151.jpg
    20130225_120151.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 177
Hey all. I'm very new to the wood burning community, I moved in with my aunt who has a Dutchwest 2462. The gasket on the left side door however is coming loose. I read about a dollar bill test in another thread, my questions are: what is this test?

The dollar bill test is simply this: Take a dollsr out of your wallet & hold it in such a way that when you close the door of the stove, the bill will be held in place by the gasket. Pull on the bill. If it comes out with very little, or no resistance, then your door gasket is NOT sealing & you are not burning wood efficiently - TOO MUCH AIR.

How hard is it to replace these gaskets, and if the gasket is still good what kind of adhesive (if any) should be used to secure it?

Replacing the gasket is not difficult, but you must clean ALL of the old adhesive out of the gasket channel. You can use Rutland gasket cement or Hi temp RTV silicone. Search for "gasket replacement" & you should be able to find a detailed step-by-step replacement procedure.

This is the primary winter heat source for this home so it's a big concern for me that it runs as well as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks do you know which part number it would be if it needs to be replaced

IIRC, it's 5/16 gasket on your door. Take a piece of the worn stuff to your local hearth shop or hardware store & have them match it. If you have a Vermont Castings dealer nearby, then they can tell you for sure what size it is.

Great thanks I tried the dollar bill test and we passed so I think we just need to readhere it to the door.

Btw Daksy, thanks for serving myself and my brothers-in-arms through the patriot guard. I admire and respect You and them greatly

Reactions: DAKSY
Great thanks I tried the dollar bill test and we passed so I think we just need to readhere it to the door.

Btw Daksy, thanks for serving myself and my brothers-in-arms through the patriot guard. I admire and respect You and them greatly

Just make sure you butt the two ends together well. any gap will allow more air in than you want.

It's my honor & my privilege to Stand for Those Who Stood for Us. It's the Right Thing to Do.

Status
Not open for further replies.