Dutchwest 2478 non cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gary863

Nov 7, 2014
Vermont
Picked up a dutchwest non cat a few weeks back. Read all the post but nothing relates to my problem. I can get the stove up and running but I'm having trouble controlling the high heat temp. If I load the stove for a long overnight burn the temp shoots up to about 800 in the stove pipe. The damper is closed the air is shut off. I have a straight double walled pipe that's about 12-14ft long. I cannot lower the temp when the stove is full. Is my draft to strong? My wood has been seasoned 8 months.

Picked up a dutchwest non cat a few weeks back. Read all the post but nothing relates to my problem. I can get the stove up and running but I'm having trouble controlling the high heat temp. If I load the stove for a long overnight burn the temp shoots up to about 800 in the stove pipe. The damper is closed the air is shut off. I have a straight double walled pipe that's about 12-14ft long. I cannot lower the temp when the stove is full. Is my draft to strong? My wood has been seasoned 8 months.
I am new to this forum but here's my two cents worth. Is the stove new or used? If it's new you would think all your gaskets would be in good shape however I would still do the dollar bill test. I sell a locally fabricated smoker and know that if it's new it doesn't perform as well as after several uses. How long of time are you getting on your overnight burns? I am very interested I have the same stove in a home I just bought in Colorado, I have been very impressed with the heat output and the wood usage but it has been extremely cold, mine may be burning hotter than normal also? I'm getting 6 to 8 hour overnight Burns have not had to rekindle the stove in two weeks and I never have to leave any of the doors open when I reload. I am using Oakwood my splits are cut for a larger stove I have an Oklahoma sometimes I can only get two pieces four max in the stove. It's using about one third of the wood my Country Flame stove uses I have an Oklahoma.

When this happens, is the fire calm or is it raging? This style of stove has very high flue temps because of the secondary combustion system. Often the back will even glow and there is nothing you can to about it. Shut all the lights out and look behind the rear shield and I bet you'll see some glow.
Another possible scenario: it's possible that the combustion package has failed too. These have very vulnerable parts in the back, they are known for falling apart after only a few short years. It's all replaceable, but expensive!

Status
Not open for further replies.