dutchwest 2478 ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhl380

Dec 22, 2009
ohio
i think i have got this stove figured out but i do have some ?'s
how hot should i get the stove and how hot do i get the flu to active the ever burn
i have been getting the stove around 800 degrees and the pipe and flue around 250 to 280 degrees
with the damper open for about 30 minutes then shut the damper i can hear the everburn kick in but then the
noise goes away but i can fill a draft pulling from the round intake on the bottom last night i got about a 8 hour burn
what do you guys think. thanks Rick

sounds like your doing it, man.. although the numbers seem off... you are getting an 800 deg stove temp w/ a 280 deg stack temp with the damper open? where do you have your thermometer s? is the stack one on a double wall pipe?

i have the temp gauge on the top of the stove i have been using a heat gun
for the pipe it is single wall going to the thimble in the wall is this correct.
what should my readings be?

w/ an 800 deg stove temp, and the damper open, you probably be readin about a 150-200 deg swing from the stack to stove, not a 500 plus deg swing...

i shot the top of the stove it is 340 degrees and the stack is 150 i do have a good red coal bed
and the logs are the same is this normal it is keeping the the house warm should it be hotter.
also i tried to adjust the air control valve do not notice a big change.

mhl380 said:
so should be reading around 400 to 500 on the stack?

yes, if you've got an 800 deg stove temp reading, stack should be @ 200 deg behind...

mhl380 said:
i shot the top of the stove it is 340 degrees and the stack is 150 i do have a good red coal bed
and the logs are the same is this normal it is keeping the the house warm should it be hotter.
also i tried to adjust the air control valve do not notice a big change.

340 sounds pretty normal for just a coal base...

OK guys everyone has been giving this stove a bad rap even at first i did too. but look i am from FL.
lived there all my life until this year this is my first winter that has been this cold but i finally got this stove
to work and it works fine at first i was going to take it back to the dealer but after a week of working with it
i got and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! iam getting around 8 to 9 hour burn per load and i am not using the best wood out there.
it is dry some of it is seasoned and some of it is not. that's it thanks for the help on this forum it really helped thank's Rick.

if you're getting that burn time then you got it! this stove doesn't really get much longer burn times. the most i ever got was almost 10hrs with nothing but a few coals left.

the most important thing about these stoves is WOOD. with a 21" box you can't just go putting 16" logs in there. and you must have the right type of wood and properly seasoned wood.

most people with problems probably have wood issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.