Dutchwest 2500 Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
This stuff is pretty close to what Englander uses and is quite reasonable. Size-wise it's enough for two replacement cycles on your NC30. It cuts easily with a serrated knife or a fine hacksaw blade. (Don't breathe the dust) I am using it in my Kent stove.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-densit...F-900-mm-x-600-mm-x-12-5-mm-1-2-/120995253169

Has anyone actually used this as a baffle replacement? I just took the baffle out of my DW2500x02 insert because of warping and a hole. I am looking at either using this stuff on ebay ($75) or purchasing a new assembly made heavy gauge steel($250). I submitted a question to the seller about using the fiberboard as a baffle. He indicated that it would work great but you need to be careful when loading wood since it is able to be cut with a utility knife. Does anyone think it is worth trying and risking $75 or just ordering a new assembly? Thanks for any help.

How did you get the baffle out of the dw2500x02 insert. Mine warped as well but it feels like its welded in? I bought a new insert but i'd like to use the dutchwest in my basement.

I had to take out all of the tubes. The cotter pins were tough to get out. I pushed the baffle up then lodged a screwdriver between a tube I was not working on to give me room to straighten the cotter pin backs. The pipes were not too easy to get out as well but after some persistence they came out. You have to push them as far in the hole to free one side then you have to work it by spinning the tube and pull it down to the bottom corner of the door. Once each of the tubes is out the baffle is free to come out. The baffle just sits on brackets and can be pushed up and over to lower into the box. It came down into the box easily but since mine was also badly warped so it took some messing around with it to get it out. You need to get one of the corners in the flue opening and then it should come out. I was thinking about using a grinder to cut a corner off if I couldn't get it out.

The baffle has a fairly large hole in it and it is significantly warped. I would like to get something new in there that does not into the firebox like this one does. Do you think that putting kaowool on top would make it burn more efficiently? I am fairly new to burning so any input is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.