Q&A DutchWest by VC longevity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

i just purchased a Dutchwest Large convection heater for hole house heating, and relined my masonry chimney with the corrugated ventrinox system. It has a flat grate. would the addition of a separate steel or cast iron grate gain me anything. I have a steel grate from a fireplace (new) that fits perfectly in the DW firebox.

I have read your entire database of Q & A and have seen some nerve racking responses to Consolidated DW stoves. Mine is supposedly american made, and I just hope i did not get a pig in a poke as the saying goes down here. My home is approx 1,650 sf. Do i have a rebuild to look forward to every 3 or 4 years with this stove? I heated for 18+ years with a now defunct Birmingham (Atlanta) stove #124 or 126, and only replaced the grates (1 of them) in its entire use. Maybe i should have kept the old stove around

Answer:

The newer ones, and especially the most recent couple years (which I assume yours is) are very good stoves and should serve you well. Still, expect a bit more replacement parts as newer catalytic stoves have more moving stuff inside them. However, rest assured that the stove is fine..in fact, I can now (as of 1998) say that I'd buy one - it's a good stove and a good value.

As mentioned before, the earlier (pre-1990 or so) models were marketed through direct mail and very poorly made.

Status
Not open for further replies.