Dutchwest Federal Airtight 264CCL, need buying advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tani

Aug 5, 2014
Claridon, OH
Hello!

We are switching from coal to wood burning. We just sold the coal stove that we had sitting on the hearth to replace it with an efficient woodburner. We are on a tight budget. There is a guy in our area who refurbishes and sells stoves. He is offering a Dutchwest Federal Airtight 264CCL that he had taken apart and resealed and repainted for $850 including delivery and installation. It says Dutchwest India, made in Taiwan on the label, so does it date it as mid 80's? I'd like to get an advice on whether it is a decent buy. I've seen reviews from people who love it and those who hate it. I am concerned that it is that old, and I tend to associate (may be unfairly) things made in Taiwan with being cheap. On the other hand, I can't afford a $3000 new stove and I can't restore/fix things on my own.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I almost bought that stove in 1986 when it was $650 new. Glad I didn't. It almost bankrupted Vermont Castings when they took it on. As you say, some love it (none of them have burned in a modern stove) and some hate it.

All I can say is that I am really happy that I didn't buy the thing. Early cat stove that doesn't deliver what even the least expensive non-cats do today and nowhere near what modern cat stoves do.

Outside of that, I have no opinion about the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.