dutchwest fireplace insert installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmitch

Sep 27, 2008
TX
I have just purchased my first Dutchwest fireplace insert and I am preparing to install it. I have a masonry fireplace so I am good to go there. My main concern is what to do about connecting to the fireplace flue. The dealer said if you have never had any smoke problems with your fireplace before just put it in the firebox place the shrouds and your ready t go. As I have read a little on the internet most people are say this is terrible advice. They are saying you need to install a stainless steel flex pipe and cap. Others say just run the flex pipe to the first part of the flue. How about sealing the old fireplace damper and running the flex pipe through that seal? Can I get any advice from someone here who has installed one of these?

Thanks I am ready to fire it up!!

Mitch

Run a liner the whole way up it. It makes it safer, draft better, and a whole lot easier to clean the chimney. Also, you need a block off plate where the damper is. Just search block off plates on here and you will find way more information than you want. I thinks it's a wiki on here too.

Status
Not open for further replies.