Dutchwest model 2183 approx. 1990 vintage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobs54

Nov 25, 2011
central ct
Hi folks. I'm trying to remove the flue collar, which has one broken screw, but cannot get that other one off to save my life. Very corroded inside the collar i guess. My question is, does anyone know if the nut for the screw inside the collar is welded to the stove itself?..or not. My thought was to drill out the old screws and replace with maybe a cap bolt and nut to repair. Would this work ok?
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks very much.

jake54 said:
Hi folks. I'm trying to remove the flue collar, which has one broken screw, but cannot get that other one off to save my life. Very corroded inside the collar i guess. My question is, does anyone know if the nut for the screw inside the collar is welded to the stove itself?..or not. My thought was to drill out the old screws and replace with maybe a cap bolt and nut to repair. Would this work ok?
Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks very much.

I had a fa264ccl and the casting was tapped.. Try PB Blaster and vice grips, I used long nose vicegrips and that worked.. I replaced those flat head phillips with allen cap bolts and washers..

Ray

Thanks Raybonz.. I think I might have to drill out the one screw head that's still showing, as it's pretty chewed up from my attempts with the vise grips yesterday. Maybe I can get a better grip on the part that's sticking up through the casting once I do that. Good thing it's been pretty warm here lately!

jake54 said:
Thanks Raybonz.. I think I might have to drill out the one screw head that's still showing, as it's pretty chewed up from my attempts with the vise grips yesterday. Maybe I can get a better grip on the part that's sticking up through the casting once I do that. Good thing it's been pretty warm here lately!

Welcome to the forum Jake! On my old CDW they used phillips flat head screws which is a bad idea! I always used NeverSeize on the bolt threads and i suggest you do the same as it will make things easier the next time.. Allen cap bolts are a much better choice in my opinion plus you have something you can grab with vicegrips etc. in the event you manage to chew up the allen key slot.. Whatever you do never use a hammer or other hard object on cast iron as it will break..

Good luck!

Ray

Thanks for the tip on the anti-seize compound. Never thought of that!..but makes perfect sense. Collar came off very easily after I drilled out the bolts. Luckily they were only attached with a single square nut. (no threads tapped into stove). Just have to grab some gasket, and put'er back together. It's been so warm here, no need for burning last few days. Will be good to get the old war horse up and running for when the cold comes. Once again thanks for the help and suggestions.

+1 on the Anti seize and i used Kroil on my old intrepid to remove frozen screws,,, best penetrant ive ever used, just sayin

Status
Not open for further replies.