Dutchwest needs a new finish. Stove Paint or Stove Black?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pjw73nh

Oct 8, 2008
NH Seacoast
Greetings.

I recently purchased a (used) Dutchwest FA264 ccl. It was purchased by the original owner in 1983 and used for about 10 years. (not very much I might add. It is in very good condition) The stove is meant to replace my current stove (Dutchwest FA264ccl, 1981). I love these stoves. In 1981, I drove my Volkswagen rabbit down to Plymouth MA to pick it up at the importer. I drove home with the hatch open, and very slowly. The stove has done remarkably well for us. I have had to replace the rear plate in the firebox 2x. The glass once. The gaskets once. And I had to drill out and insert heli-coils in the five threaded holes for the doors and air vents. That said (and done), parts that are no longer available are starting to wear and the stove is no longer burning as efficiently as I would like. Hence, my recent purchase.

Now after my long winded introduction, my question. While I have the new stove sitting on a dolly in my garage, I believe THIS is the time to do any refinishing/repainting etc. I have gone over the new stove pretty well. All it basically needs is a good scraping/brushing and a fresh finish. The question is what finish. I have read about stove paint and stove black. Once my stove is in place, I will not be moving it on any type of regular basis. IE, once it is in. It's in for several years. From what I have read in the manual, the manufacturer calls for high temp stove paint (1200 deg F). Many people had suggested that stove black gives a better (darker) finish, and gets "baked IN". Does the paint get "baked ON" ? Because it is outside, I am unconcerned with smoke or fumes. My goal is for whatever is going to give me the LONGEST DURABLE finish before I move it inside.

Thank you in advance for any help you folks can provide.

P.../NH

On my DW, I use Imperial (brand) Stove Polish Paste (so I think that's what you call Stove Black). Doesnt require any sanding or much prep. Simply clean off the surface, then rub the paste on w/ a rag, wipe off excess, let dry.

I get a lot of moisture in the summer months moving past my stove when its not in use, and it can get some minor rust formation on the outside. The paste really helps protect it as well as an attractive finish.

On the con side, it isnt paint, so it will rub off easily and on your finger/clothes even after its dry.

First check to see if the manufacturer recommends one or the other. If not, then it's largely a matter of personal taste. Traditional stove blacking is/was powdered graphite in a carrier. It imparts a more metallic silvery sheen. My choice would be high temperature paint - lasts longer, easier to apply, and provides just as much protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.