Dutchwest or Jotul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BridgeBoy

Sep 10, 2016
Wa.
I have a Vermont Castings Dutchwest 2462. It has been a decent unit. I am not sure who would be the best vendor to buy replacement parts for this stove and wonder who others purchase from. It is about 8 years old and trying to decide if a new same model 2462 would be a good choice or mabey consider a Jotul of the same specifications. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bridge Boy

Are you saying you are going to be replacing the stove? If you are replacing it after only 8 years then no I would absolutely not buy the same one. I would choose a Jotul over a dutch west or Vermont Castings any day regardless. They are much more reliable

Jotul

I have a Dutchwest 2462 in my basement. It's been a good stove, but just too large for the space and heat does not make it up the stairs. I have purchased a replacement catalyst online from Condar, and a blower kit online from Amazon. You can google for part numbers and find the vendors that stock replacement parts.

How is your stove working? Looking to repair or replace?

Jotul, Quadrafire, Enviro, Pacific Energy- all good choices to consider...

Wondering what parts you need, and why you're considering replacement? They don't make 2462's any more anyway, just a non-cat version that is PAINFULLY expensive to repair when it needs it. And it likely will.

They don't make 2462's any more anyway, just a non-cat version.

How long has that been the case? I thought I saw the cat version in a store just a year or two ago.

consider a Jotul of the same specifications

Jotul does not make catalytic stoves, so it would be a different burn technology, as well as being a bit pricier for the same size stove. Do you care if the stove is a cat or non-cat?

Thanks to the many replies about parts and a possible replacement for my Dutchwest 2462. My unit is catalytic and I am not sure if I would be better off with non catalytic burn system. I am going to check with a Jotul Stove dealer as many feel that they are very reliable. My 2462 will hold a fire for an easy 8 or 10 hours. I like the side and front door loading. Ash pan is sure nice. Anyone know the model Jotul or another brand, that that might be a decent replacement for the 2462? Also my chimney pipe is 8". What is the best way to change to a 6" pipe that I believe the Jotul stove use? Costly to change all pipe for sure.

Thanks,

BridgeBoy

Like stovelark said, Jotul, Quadrafire, Enviro, Pacific Energy are all good choices to consider. In the Jotul line take a look at the F55. In cat stoves also look at Woodstock's Ideal Steel and Progress Hybrid and BK Scirocco or Ashford 30.

They don't make 2462's any more
How long has that been the case? I thought I saw the cat version in a store just a year or two ago.
Same here, saw one a couple years ago, but they are no longer on the VC website.
my chimney pipe is 8". What is the best way to change to a 6" pipe that I believe the Jotul stove use? Costly to change all pipe for sure
If you have a tall stack, maybe it would draw well enough on 8" pipe. I'm no expert, though. I think some of the Jotuls are picky about draft, IIRC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.