1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Dutchwest Stove Question

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by plumberman57, Sep 12, 2011.

1. plumberman57

plumberman57 Member

Loc:
    Aledo, IL
    Hi, new here and have been lurking for awhile. Does anyone have any info on a Dutchwest India Ltd./ federal airtight FA264CCL. I have a chance to get one very cheap. I now have a Volgelzang boxwood stove that eats wood like crazy.and i am looking for something that is more efficient. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wood-fan-atic

wood-fan-atic New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    If it says Dutchwest India it probably is a much older one than any current model. In fact, it is probably much older than the "old" models.......

The model number is valid, but the "India" in the name throws me of. Various names were used - during the heyday (1984-1988), the name was Consolidated Dutchwest. Then it changed to simply Dutchwest or Federal Dutchwest.

Does it have a marking on the rear casting stating where it was made? Most were made in Taiwan up until about 1988. Some very early ones may have been made elsewhere (India)....

The name, though, has nothing to do with where it was made. The company was a classic "marketing" company that used various names to make customers think the stove was special....you know, like that Amalgamated Consolidated National Federated Dutch Trading Conglomeration, etc.....
  4. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I used to own the big brother FA288CCL Vermont Castings Consolidated DutchWest Airtight CAT Federal Design Wood/Coal Free Standing Cast iron Stove.

I have a pdf of the pics below. Send me a PM with your email address if you want a copy. It describes the features of all the stoves. I paid $1060.00 for it back in 1990.

Click to enlarge pics below:

Attached Files:

GregJ likes this.
  5. geoxman

geoxman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    STL City
  6. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    DON'T buy that stove. Taiwanese Dutchwest stoves were good enough in their time, but parts are now largely unavailable and something minor could render the unit useless. Keep looking.
  7. plumberman57

plumberman57 Member

Loc:
    Aledo, IL
    Thanks to all that responded. The stove i was looking at, was on ebay. When it went over $200
    I lost interest. Didn't feel like paying that much for a 25 yr old stove, that I couldn't inspect before hand.
  8. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    I'm surprised the plumberman didn't go for one of these on eBay lately! :cheese:

Attached Files:

9. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    sweet hunk o'steel!!!!!!!!!
  10. GregJ

GregJ New Member

I would love a copy of the pics you posted,I tried to download but did not come out clear enough to read. Thanks! gmanjay70@gmail.com