Dutchwest Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

plumberman57

Aug 18, 2011
Aledo, IL
Hi, new here and have been lurking for awhile. Does anyone have any info on a Dutchwest India Ltd./ federal airtight FA264CCL. I have a chance to get one very cheap. I now have a Volgelzang boxwood stove that eats wood like crazy.and i am looking for something that is more efficient. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If it says Dutchwest India it probably is a much older one than any current model. In fact, it is probably much older than the "old" models.......

The model number is valid, but the "India" in the name throws me of. Various names were used - during the heyday (1984-1988), the name was Consolidated Dutchwest. Then it changed to simply Dutchwest or Federal Dutchwest.

Does it have a marking on the rear casting stating where it was made? Most were made in Taiwan up until about 1988. Some very early ones may have been made elsewhere (India)....

The name, though, has nothing to do with where it was made. The company was a classic "marketing" company that used various names to make customers think the stove was special....you know, like that Amalgamated Consolidated National Federated Dutch Trading Conglomeration, etc.....

Hello

I used to own the big brother FA288CCL Vermont Castings Consolidated DutchWest Airtight CAT Federal Design Wood/Coal Free Standing Cast iron Stove.

I have a pdf of the pics below. Send me a PM with your email address if you want a copy. It describes the features of all the stoves. I paid $1060.00 for it back in 1990.

Click to enlarge pics below:

Attachments

• VCDutchWestWoodCoalFire1sc.jpg
    VCDutchWestWoodCoalFire1sc.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,510
  • FederalWoodCoalStove1sc.jpg
    FederalWoodCoalStove1sc.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,873
  • FederalWoodCoalStove2sc.jpg
    FederalWoodCoalStove2sc.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,052
  • FederalWoodCoalStove3sc.jpg
    FederalWoodCoalStove3sc.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,192
Reactions: GregJ
DON'T buy that stove. Taiwanese Dutchwest stoves were good enough in their time, but parts are now largely unavailable and something minor could render the unit useless. Keep looking.

Thanks to all that responded. The stove i was looking at, was on ebay. When it went over $200
I lost interest. Didn't feel like paying that much for a 25 yr old stove, that I couldn't inspect before hand.

I'm surprised the plumberman didn't go for one of these on eBay lately! :cheese:

Attachments

• Grandma with secondary air.jpg
    Grandma with secondary air.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Baby Bear with water 3.jpg
    Baby Bear with water 3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 844
  • Baby Bear with water 4.jpg
    Baby Bear with water 4.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 790
Hello

I used to own the big brother FA288CCL Vermont Castings Consolidated DutchWest Airtight CAT Federal Design Wood/Coal Free Standing Cast iron Stove.

I have a pdf of the pics below. Send me a PM with your email address if you want a copy. It describes the features of all the stoves. I paid $1060.00 for it back in 1990.

Click to enlarge pics below:
I would love a copy of the pics you posted,I tried to download but did not come out clear enough to read. Thanks! [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.