DutchWest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grobinson2

Apr 15, 2010
Peach Bottom, PA
Hey guys,
I just picked up a 1990 Dutch West model 224 for $3.00 at a fire company auction. Stove is in great shape and came with new grates and the whole kit. Anyway I had heard all these bad things about these stoves but I have to say that I just love the look of it and mine is built like a tank. I don't see any seems or gaps and it is one heavy stove. Anyway, I am already searching for the largest model that they made which I beleave is the 228?? I plan on burning some wood and mostly coal in the air tight and am looking for one or two guys that have and use these stoves for coal to get the pros and cons. I have been trying to find reviews but most of them have been from people that don't seem to know a thing about wood stoves let alone burning coal. Thanks again guys,
Glenn

Hi and welcome.

My BIL has a CDW cat about as old and swears by it...even my sister loves the stove. They'll pay whatever it costs to rebuild it before ever thinking of buying another stove. It does everything they want a stove to do...and their not dicking with it all the time either. They burn wood...he told me something about burning coal once but I forgot exactly what it was.

Well there is a good report. :) I am having one hell of a time finding anyone that has used coal in these things. I just love the look of them and while I know I have read a lot of bad reviews the one that I got at that auction (a 1990 FA224 made in the USA) is built like a tank. I have had a lot of coal stoves as I love to fix them up and sell them to friends and that DutchWest is built much heavier then say a Stradford SC100.

Thanks again,
Glenn

The DW coal /wood stove was not a big winner , it didn't burn ether fuel very well .
The stove seemed to work OK for me with coal if the gaskets where all tight.
I didn't like burning wood in it. The fire box was kinda small .
I had a EX large DW that burned wood only and it was a great stove .
The VC vigilant did burn wood and coal very well .
I had a fishing buddy that delivered coal for a living in PA . He would fill my bin for the year .

Status
Not open for further replies.