DV 25, STARDANCE, VERMONT CASTINGS GAS STOVE. SAFETY SWITCH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam1800

Dec 13, 2013
fairfield, iowa
My DV 25, Stardance, Vermont castings gas stove has a warning label on the back that says, "Don't try to reinsert the pin into the safety switch."
I can see the safety switch near the label. The switch is inside an aluminum box. A cotter pin is inserted into a hole at the top of the box. The cotter pin is attached to a wire that goes up inside the back of the stove.
The cotter pin is only partially in the hole.
My question is, should the cotter pin be all the way in the hole?
Or, should the cotter pin be removed?
What is the cotter pin for?
Where does the wire from the cotter pin go; what does it attach to?
They say the internet has all information, but this is one question that no one seems to know the answer.
I've emailed and phoned Vermont castings. I've called all the repair people I can find, I've searched for hours online, I've read the manuals. Nothing. Help!
sam1800

as long as the stove is operational the pin is in far enough .The cotter pin wire is connected to the explosion relief door ,if a delay in ignition were to occur the door would lift pulling the pin tripping the switch and killing the burner/pilot.

Status
Not open for further replies.