DVL finish collar snap ring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darent

Aug 5, 2011
MA, NH
Hi All!
Last weekend I installed duratech chimney for an Summer's Heat 13-NC stove. It was a through the wall installation. It went with no problems. I also was installing DVL pipe for the connection to the chimney. Here I ran into the problem; I can't fit the DVL Chimney Connector 8674 into the Duratech Finishing collar - 9455;
Attached it the picture of the parts and stove (with pipes not connected, just "dry" fitted).

Has anyone recently use these parts? What am I doing wrong??
Thanks!
Daren

Attachments

• IMG_7687 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7687 (Small).jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_7682 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7682 (Small).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 528
Daren,
I installed the snap lock adapter ring into a ceiling support box (9445) just last week...it went in without any problem...If I remember correctly there were small male and female tabs that I lined up and slid the snap ring in then gave it a twist clockwise...the DVL pipe just snapped on the adapter ring...maybe your part ( 9455 ) is a little different...hope this helps

Ron

The 9455 came like that. But all the pictures I have seen of 9455 don't have that internal pipe sticking out.

Thanks for the replays!
Here is another shot of the part; Maybe Duravent changed part design? As it is now there is no way I can install the snap sonnector

Attachments

• IMG_7688 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7688 (Small).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 429
You are correct. There is definitely something added there. It looks like there is some sort of fitting in the finishing collar. Can you pull out that short stub of pipe? Once removed, the stainless adapter should fit correctly.

Where did this finishing collar come from?

I got all my pipes from dynamitebuys. (Sean was great help). I knew I have right parts but I could not see a way that they can fit, I suspected that my finish collar was defective. Sean send me another one. To my great surprise second part is exactly the same. So I'm back to square one. Just like trying fit square peg into round hole....

Wierd. I've never seen a DV finishing collar like that. Will that ring come out?

Edit: Just to be clear, the larger end of the close clearance adapter should fit around (outside) the ring of the finishing collar and snap in place behind the face of the collar.

There is nothing I can pull out. It looks like the innermost section was manufactured too long.
Here is more shots

Attachments

• IMG_7691 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7691 (Small).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_7690 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7690 (Small).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_7689 (Small).jpg
    IMG_7689 (Small).jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 341
Puzzle solved!
This is redesigned part that does not need the "8674 connector" to connect "finish collar" to black pipe (single or double wall)

Here is the response from the tech support:

Daren
You have the newly designed finishing collar that does not need the adapter. ...
You will attach the stove pipe with screws to the single wall sleeve that is coming out of the finishing collar. If you are using double wall stove pipe then the screws will go through both walls of the stove pipe and the single wall sleeve coming through the finishing collar.

M&G DuraVent, Inc.
Vacaville CA

Thank you all for the responses.
Daren

I like it. The stainless adapter ring is a bit flimsy. I never have 100% confidence it that snap lock. This setup allows one to make a solid 3 screw connection that will not come apart.

BeGreen said:
I like it. The stainless adapter ring is a bit flimsy. I never have 100% confidence it that snap lock. This setup allows one to make a solid 3 screw connection that will not come apart.

Is it possible to put 3 screws in the snap stainless adapter ring with DVL pipe for a more secure connection? I didn't do that because it seemed almost impossible for the DVL to slip off...there is 3 screws holding the adjustable pipe that could slide down...and a probe thermometer running through it

Not really. The part of the ring that inserts into the class A is buried deep. With a ceiling support box I was not comfortable drilling through the support box collar and class A just to hopefully secure the adapter ring.

BeGreen said:
Not really. The part of the ring that inserts into the class A is buried deep. With a ceiling support box I was not comfortable drilling through the support box collar and class A just to hopefully secure the adapter ring.
Agree but I was referring to the lower part of the adapter where the DVL pipe connects...

Yes, that part is easy to screw.

BeGreen said:
Yes, that part is easy to screw.

Do you think DuraTech is better quality Class A pipe than DuraPlus?...If so, is it worth the cost of having an installer do DuraTech vs a DIY install of DuraPlus?

thanks,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.