DVL Piping temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff310

Oct 7, 2010
Toledo Ohio area
I put in a flue damper on my 32' chimney. Stove said I could go either way I decided to do it. What kind of temps should I be getting on it at ceiling level? I am averaging 120-140. With temps in that range what is a safe guess of the interior temp of the flue? I am trying to keep things warm enough to prevent creosote buildup. I am using an IR gun for the temps and also a magnetic flue thermometer. I am burning ash and maple both well seasoned.

Thanks
Jeff

Surface temps on double-wall pipe don't mean a whole lot. You'll need a probe thermometer for this pipe. Place it about 18-24" above the flue collar. I think you'll find it pretty handy for watching the effect of the key damper. With the draft tamed you should see the flue temps decrease and the stove top temps increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.