DVL question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whalen

Aug 25, 2014
Maryland
New member here, Upgrading from old Garrison ONE creosote distillery, 8" 14 foot single wall pipe setup, to an Ideal Steel, with a 6" DVL pipe system. First off, I have no desire to change out my 6 feet of 8" Chimney, and although I have no idea who makes it, it is in great shape.
So I have spent weeks lurking and reading all I can... I will be using a 8" DVc to 6" DVC Selkirk adapter at the Ceiling box, I have found the Duravent adapter will transition from the chimney thimble to the 8 to 6" adapter perfectly,I would of preferred to have used all the same brand, but the 8 to 6 adapter is unique to Selkirk, I believe it is different from a standard reducer.
OK, my problem, the collar of the Dura-Vent 8DVL-ADC Double Wall Adapter with Trim Ring will fit flush with the 9" diameter of the Selkirk 8" DVL to 6" DVL adapter. How does the double wall pipe keep cool if I block off the upper vent holes in the DVL pipe? I thought I read a post about vent holes being drilled to negate this problem, but i sure want to get as much advice as possible before drilling anything. And would releasing the heat just under the ceiling box be harmful? Even if I leave a small gap the heat will be concentrated at the bottom of the trim ring.

Status
Not open for further replies.