DW fa288 grate covers ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchwest288BBuster

Nov 27, 2015
Lebanon, pa.
Greetings and thank you for a wonderful site. My first post. I recently purchased a dutchwest fa-288 and found the original manuals on line . I have been using the stove burning very well seasoned cherry hic and oak and it's been working very well. However I am concerned with a discrepancy I found in the literature . One manual says to use the under fire damper to start a wood fire" wich I have been doing" another says to never use the underfire damper when burning wood and that the rotating coal grates must be covered with grate covers. I am not new to burning wood. I've been getting up to 8 hr burn times dampening this stove down with all closed except the over fire damper. Will someone explain please when you have time. Thank you

In order to burn properly, coal must get air from below the fire, thus the draft control on he aash pan door. Otherwise, one would simply use the side door control for wood burning. No reason you CAN'T use the lower one, but likely performance will be better on wood without it. Also it MAY prevent premature wear to the grates.

The real question is: what about the little one that feeds air to the Catalyst? In 30 years I've never had anyone or any literature that would explain how the *%^$ to properly adjust that thing!! How do you know you're doing THAT one right???

Status
Not open for further replies.