Dying to get a woodstove but....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canbycorner

Aug 17, 2015
Leesburg, VA
So I can't stand any of the hearth pads out there. I would need to retrofit the room and run a pipe all the way through the ceiling. Anybody have any pics of what they have done? I would rather have a small raised platform installed with some stone and set the woodstove on top of that. Any thoughts or ideas on general costs to install the raised hearth w/ stone facing?

Please note, the rest of the room has carpet. Will this also be a big problem? Wife is picky so she may prefer to put hardwood in the rest of the room

Ha, when we raised the house I removed the fireplace completely leaving a big hole in the living room floor. My wife saw this as a perfect opportunity to request new oak floors, regardless of the project already being over budget. She won and they look great.

So I can't stand any of the hearth pads out there. I would need to retrofit the room and run a pipe all the way through the ceiling. Anybody have any pics of what they have done? I would rather have a small raised platform installed with some stone and set the woodstove on top of that. Any thoughts or ideas on general costs to install the raised hearth w/ stone facing?

Please note, the rest of the room has carpet. Will this also be a big problem? Wife is picky so she may prefer to put hardwood in the rest of the room

Not a very big hearth pad in terms of height. Plywood, durock and then slate tile (mainly since I had a bunch given to me years ago free of charge and only had to buy one extra box.) Back of the hearth is interlocking tile that looks a bit like stacked stone.

Bear in mind that depending on your stove you may have a specific insulation (R-value) requirement . . . or it may just be ember protection.

Costs are really dependent on how fancy you make the hearth and what you use and what tools you may buy or rent. I've seen folks use scraps, stone from their property, tile to look like stone, stone and even full sized pieces of granite, soapstone or other material.

For the record we put in this engineered wood floor (wife wanted the look and feel of real wood minus the height and with the added stability of engineered wood) years ago when we moved out the mint julep green carpet in the living room.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    474.5 KB · Views: 198
The carpet won't be a problem with burning/clearances as long as the hearth is wide enough and has the r-value to fulfill the stove's requirements. However, woodburning is usually messy. Hardwood floors will be easier to sweep or you/your wife will be vacuuming a lot.

I can't say what the hearth and clearance specs are for various stoves, but they are all different. So research as you pick a stove. This can save yourself a lot of work and a look you may not like. For example my Oslo's hearth needs only ember protection. I didn't want a large raised box type hearth, so mine is wire mesh, 2inch limestone.

Grisu, I respectfully disagree. Our stove is easily run spotlesslly clean. We store no wood inside. Rarely drop anything loading it. Cleaning is a removably ash pan. Not a hit of wood smell. Far cleaner than any fireplace I've ever seen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.