'dynamic range' of pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, can anyone make sense of this observation please:

My stove has 5 auger settings and I have the option of adjust the auger speed to some degree (I am not quite sure if that is just for the setting of one or a sliding adjust for all auger speeds) - anyway, here is my issue.

Some pellets will not allow me to use the 1 setting, because after some hours (say 3-4) the stove just turns off. It looks like the fire just turns off, but I am at a loss why that happens. When I get to the stove in the morning there is some ash/residue in there, some half burnt pellets but thats it - no excessive number of fresh pellets indicating the auger just quenched the fire with too many pellets or so. Its like the thermodisc shuts it down because the heatoutput is not enough. and it thinks there is an issue ?

At first I thought its the hopper getting empty and maybe not enough pellets going into the pot - but the hopper is still more than half full. It happens most with mediocre pellets such as instant heat, but also had it with currans now

In comparison, the Barefoots I like so much burn just fine on a 1 for days (literally). Not only that, if I use them at setting 5 my room gets seriously hot (cant use nr 5 for too long though). SO according to that observation some pellets actually have a better range of use than others, not just more heat output ? Is there a minimal consumption of pellets for lower quality ones, how does that make sense ? I tried tinkering with the air flow (since I know the Barefoots are pretty dense and can take a lot of air to burn white hot) - but that did not really help any. I have this effect on low, medium and high air.

Anyone some suggestions, I have a brainfreeze on this one. Thx

On my stove I cannot run some pellets on low or the stove will shut down. Normally there is a large number of pellets in the pot though. I would suggest watching the stove shut down when using the pellets you are having a problem with to see what actually happens. Is there an adjusment to increase the feed rate on low? If so that may fix the problem.

The auger trim adjustment is normally for the lowest setting. It sounds like there are to few pellets dropping in and the trim adjustment needs turned up. The pellets are burning up before more drop in the pot. (Sounds this way)

Do you have a damper on your stove? Sounds like you do by the way you spoke of air adjustment.for your stove. You could try closing the damper some or raising the trim adjustment. You need less air or more fuel.

It may be not enough heat. But I am not familiar with the way your stoves senses the fire (Photo eye, thermocouple, snap disc, etc)

The fire is burning out before the next pellet drop.

Reducing your convection blower speed helps by keeping the stove temp higher and of course closing down the combustion air supply (damper) in order to reduce the rate at which the fuel burns will help keep this from happening.

I quit using the lowest burn setting and instead use setting #2 along with a thermostat that simply shuts the stove off when the room gets warm enough. You can speed up or slow convection blower speed to reduce the amount of times your cycles completely on or off during the day. (depending on what stove you have of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.