E-burn 150 aquastat setting info request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskurdu

Hearth Supporter
Jun 10, 2008
Southwestern NY
I have an aquastat on the output of my Econoburn 150 that shuts the fan off if the output temp gets too warm. I was wondering what that aquastat should be set at? The previous owner had 180 degrees marked, but I think it should be higher. Dale @ Dunkirk Metal products is @ training in MN. I didn't want to bother him. He actually recovered his messages last night and called me back from Minnesota !!!! Gotta love that guy....wish I would have asked him about the aquastat then.

Huskurdu said:
I have an aquastat on the output of my Econoburn 150 that shuts the fan off if the output temp gets too warm. I was wondering what that aquastat should be set at? The previous owner had 180 degrees marked, but I think it should be higher. Dale @ Dunkirk Metal products is @ training in MN. I didn't want to bother him. He actually recovered his messages last night and called me back from Minnesota !!!! Gotta love that guy....wish I would have asked him about the aquastat then.

Higher temps allow you to get more heat into storage and allow quicker recovery, but best operating efficiency comes with lower outlet temps. I don't know how much of an effect it has on a percentage basis, but i believe the EKO 80 test that showed a 90%+ efficiency was at an outlet temp of around 165.

A common approach in Europe is to adjust the outlet temperature based on the outdoor temperature.

nofossil said:
Huskurdu said:

Higher temps allow you to get more heat into storage and allow quicker recovery, but best operating efficiency comes with lower outlet temps. I don't know how much of an effect it has on a percentage basis, but i believe the EKO 80 test that showed a 90%+ efficiency was at an outlet temp of around 165.

A common approach in Europe is to adjust the outlet temperature based on the outdoor temperature.

I 'believe' that aquastat that I'm talking about is just for an overheat situation. There is another aquastat that uses the thermocoupler located on the top of the built in water tank to decide whether the fan should speed up or slow down. The Aquastat that I'm talking about completely shuts off the fan and won't reset until you push the red button on the 'stat'. My 'normal' aquastat is set at 165 degrees and the 'overheat' aquastat is set @ 180 degrees....it just seems that there should be a bigger gap between them.....

Huskurdu said:
I 'believe' that aquastat that I'm talking about is just for an overheat situation. There is another aquastat that uses the thermocoupler located on the top of the built in water tank to decide whether the fan should speed up or slow down. The Aquastat that I'm talking about completely shuts off the fan and won't reset until you push the red button on the 'stat'. My 'normal' aquastat is set at 165 degrees and the 'overheat' aquastat is set @ 180 degrees....it just seems that there should be a bigger gap between them.....

Sounds reasonable, but I'd stay with the original setting unless there was a problem. It's interesting that your normal aquastat is at 165 - that's quite a bit less than most boilers.

I'd expect something more like a normal operating temp of 180 and an overtemp at 195 or 200. Basically, you want to shut down before it boils. Seems like the original owner had an application where a 165 operating temp worked for him.

nofossil.....yeh, that's in line with what I was thinking, but I didn't want to do it unless I was fairly certain that that it was correct. The previous owner had marked this aquastat @ 180, the manual doesn't say too much about it. The previous owner made some other decisions that weren't accurate and I figure this is just something that I need to correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.