1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

E Classic 1400 solenoid issue

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Bill T3, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Bill T3

Bill T3 New Member

I am having an issue with the primary air intake solenoid remaining stuck open. This is the second solenoid I have had installed this year. The strange thing is that there is no power to the solenoid when it is open after the fan shuts off. If I tap the solenoid it closes. The dealer has never seen anything like this. I checked the voltage at he solenoid when it is open and it is 120 volts. Anyone with a similar issue?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    You won't find many eClassic users on this site I'm afriad. There were a slew of issues when that boiler was first released, which were well documented on this site, and since then it's kind of turned into a "no eClassic zone". With any luck there may be a few lurkers out there that will stop in and comment. Good luck either way...
  3. heaterman

heaterman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Falmouth, Michigan
    The solenoid stays open when after the 120V disappears? If so. look for something mechanical that is hanging it up. I don't know what connecting bits and pieces are used in the whole chain of events but something like a cotter pin or a burr of metal could be casing your problem.

Sorry but I have to smirk a bit at the quote from your CB dealer ............"has never seen anything like this".
    Seems to be standard practice sad to say.
  4. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Does the door close if you tap anything other than the solenoid? Was the second replacement the same make/model as the first one that went bad? To Stee's point, are the linkages all lubed up and easy to move?
  5. NE WOOD BURNER

NE WOOD BURNER Minister of Fire

I would call a stocking dealer that has a 1400 and a 1450 in stock go visit. compare the two. The 1450 i was told is the upgrade to the 1400. as it cheaper to qualify a new unit for EPA than to retest an older unit. Just what I was told. check out other OWB forums, they touch on your issues and others.
  6. sam-tip

sam-tip Member

Loc:
    Des Moines
    CB now has a spring kit to pull it closed if it is sticking open.
  7. goosegunner

goosegunner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI
    Wasn't there some kind of fix that Central boiler had the owner install a paper clip some where for something?

gg