E Classic 1400 solenoid issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill T3

Jan 23, 2013
I am having an issue with the primary air intake solenoid remaining stuck open. This is the second solenoid I have had installed this year. The strange thing is that there is no power to the solenoid when it is open after the fan shuts off. If I tap the solenoid it closes. The dealer has never seen anything like this. I checked the voltage at he solenoid when it is open and it is 120 volts. Anyone with a similar issue?

You won't find many eClassic users on this site I'm afriad. There were a slew of issues when that boiler was first released, which were well documented on this site, and since then it's kind of turned into a "no eClassic zone". With any luck there may be a few lurkers out there that will stop in and comment. Good luck either way...

The solenoid stays open when after the 120V disappears? If so. look for something mechanical that is hanging it up. I don't know what connecting bits and pieces are used in the whole chain of events but something like a cotter pin or a burr of metal could be casing your problem.

Sorry but I have to smirk a bit at the quote from your CB dealer ............"has never seen anything like this".
Seems to be standard practice sad to say.

Does the door close if you tap anything other than the solenoid? Was the second replacement the same make/model as the first one that went bad? To Stee's point, are the linkages all lubed up and easy to move?

I would call a stocking dealer that has a 1400 and a 1450 in stock go visit. compare the two. The 1450 i was told is the upgrade to the 1400. as it cheaper to qualify a new unit for EPA than to retest an older unit. Just what I was told. check out other OWB forums, they touch on your issues and others.

Wasn't there some kind of fix that Central boiler had the owner install a paper clip some where for something?

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.