E-Classic Fusion chamber defect (CB shifting blame to users)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecrane99

May 14, 2008
CT
Many folks have been experiencing a rupture of the E-Classic fusion chamber. See links below.
Everyone with an E-Classic needs to check there stoves for this.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/37816/

http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2231&pos=0

I have contacted my dealer in CT who claims to sold 50 e-classics. The dealer claims no owers except I have brought this up.
The dealer cantacted John Burns at CB for resolution. Here is the verbal responce given by John Burns to my dealer:

The fusion chamber is a wear item and not covered under waranty but since this stove is fairly new, they will supply the part.
The rupture could be caused by user, although some issues have been noted and a possible redesign could occur using a Porcelain material.
It is the owner responsibility to replace the fusion chamber in this case. CB will not cover dealer labor.

This response is disturbing to me because they are not taking resposibility and shifting blame to the stove users. I think the E-Classic owners need to group together on this one so we don't get stepped on by CB.

I just reviewed the pics that are posted on The Forestry Forum Gallery, WOW, I didn't think that they were pushing all that heat through a steel box! I see that the top must be covered with refractory, but what about the sides? To me it looks like bare steel and thin steel to boot. I did some exparementing with a gasifier a while back attempting to cut down on the amount of heat it was producing durring the summer months for domestic hot water. I placed a 1" solid steel plug into the gasification nozzle thinking that if I plugged half of it up I would get half the heat output. I sort of worked, but was I surprised when I pulled the steel plug out one month later. Almost half of it was eroded away from the intense heat. 1/2 in only a month. Based on that, I would say that you are going to be replacing that fusion chamber yearly. I think you will find that the Euro stuff all use refractory nozzles as does Econoburn. There is a good reason for it, refractory withstands the heat much btter than does steel. I would bet that the folks who do not find damage to the CB's reaction chamber have an oversize unit and there was a lot of ideling time.
I made the comment the first time I saw one of the CB's E Classics, at the 2008 Empire Farm Days. "it will never hold up to the heat produced".

Status
Not open for further replies.